NROLFW - At home possible?

Options
I want to start weight training and would prefer to do it from home. I know that the New Rules of Lifting for Women is often considered the Bible of weight training. Is it possible to do the workouts at home or do I need a full gym set? What equipment is required? I have NOTHING so will be starting from scratch and don't have hundreds of dollars to drop. Are the exercises described adequately that between the book and Youtube vids I could get proper form? I have a video camera and tripod so I could video myself to see my form.

Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I did not do NRoL, it's been awhile since I looked at it, but I think a big part of it was equipment needed. I work out at home, and have a bench, bar, plates, plate loadable dumbbells and a small adjustable safety rack. I'm currently running Wendler's 5/3/1, but have done the All Pro's Beginner Routine from the bodybuilding.com forum and Madcow's 5x5. I have also made up my own program, but I find running a "real" program so much easier. At muscleandstrength.com you can search for a plan by equipment required, and I think you can do that at bb.com, too.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, Jen. I'll check those out. :-)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Three words: body weight exercises. Most of them need no equipment, some need a few aids that can be easily figured out. The book "Body by You" looks like a good place to start. Kettlebells are another possibility. Just need the kettlebells and some instruction via DVD/books.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Another thing you could try to get an at home gym started; Craigslist or yard sales. I found my bench/bar/plates off Craigslist. Olympic standard, very nice quality, DIRT CHEAP because they were moving asap!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You cannot do NROLFW without access to a gym. Not if you plan to do all of the exercises they describe. They require the use of cable machines, Swiss balls, barbells and dumbbells, and a squat rack or power cage. You can do many of their exercises in modified form, but then you wouldn't be doing their program. But you can certainly learn a few things from reading the book if you are new to strength training, and make up your own program.
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • chrish228
    chrish228 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started doing NROLFW at home. I have teenage boys, so my husband and I justified the expense of equipment because they would use it too. The book does give you exercises so that you don't have to use a cable machine. If it helps, this is what I bought: a bench with removable rack that I can use for squats, $150; 100lbs worth of weights, with barbel and dumbbells ($100).
    A swiss ball (I think $8) and I had an old step to use for step-ups. With those pieces of equipment, you can do most of the exercises. Its not a bad start up cost, and you might be able to find things cheaper on Craigslist or something.