What a nitwit!

Options
I've had a major light bulb moment with weighing my food. I can't believe how long it took me to figure this out and it's embarrassing, but funny at the same time.

Can you believe that I would put a measuring cup on the food scale, zero it out, then fill the cup with yogurt, record the number of grams, scrape out the measuring cup into my bowl, and then look at my spoon and wonder how many grams of yogurt were on my spoon that didn't get weighed? Then I'd have to clean the measuring cup.

Now, I usually think of myself as a smart person, but wow! I did this for months!

Is it just me? Just in case you're a nitwit too (lol).... 1. Put the BOWL AND THE SPOON on the scale.
2. Zero out the scale. 3. Fill bowl with yogurt. 4. Place the spoon back in the bowl. 5. Record the grams of yogurt you're eating. 6. Enjoy not having to clean the measuring cup.

I used to do that with nut butter in a measuring spoon too. I would first weigh the spoon, zero it out....and all the rest. I would try to scrap out that rounded spoon - so hard to do! Why did it never occur to me to just use a regular spoon?

Can you please make me feel better by sharing your own personal nitwit story?

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah! Sorry, but that's funny because it's something I'd do.

For me, I spent 5 minutes trying to peel a stuck off cutter off a box of cling wrap so I could stick it to the new box.

When I could have just put the new roll in the old box, with the cutter attached.

That's hilarious! Are you a Three Stooges fan?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    cordney wrote: »
    You could also put the whole container of whatever you're eating on the scale, tare, then take out what you want and just use the negative amount.

If I've already had my morning coffee that would work. I don't know if I want to subtract when I'm half asleep though.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Ahhh. Measure the spoon too. A duh moment for me. Thanks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Hahahahah! Sorry, but that's funny because it's something I'd do.

For me, I spent 5 minutes trying to peel a stuck off cutter off a box of cling wrap so I could stick it to the new box.

When I could have just put the new roll in the old box, with the cutter attached.

That's hilarious! Are you a Three Stooges fan?

Haahaa I am, actually.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I was weighing individual ingredients on different plates when I realized I can put them on the same plate tare each time. Uggg.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It took a month or so for me to learn what the tare button did. Whenever I added ingredients I got frustrated because the scale kept jumping or I had a lapse on what the beginning weight was.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    The tare button is a lifesaver. I recently got a new scale and took it back because it didn't do negative numbers, so I couldn't tare to 0 and then measure what I took out.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't use, the tare feature because the measurement never, stays long enough for me to; copy them & I'd be unable to remember all of, the measurements to; copy when my measuring's done! So I just remove the container, then add something; then return the container to the scale! Often having to, turn the; scale on again!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    I don't use, the tare feature because the measurement never, stays long enough for me to; copy them & I'd be unable to remember all of, the measurements to; copy when my measuring's done! So I just remove the container, then add something; then return the container to the scale! Often having to, turn the; scale on again!

To keep the scale awake long enough to measure multiple ingredients, just poke it with your finger at intervals, it will treat that as if the weight had changed and will reset the sleepy timer. That's what I do. You get used to how quickly your scale falls asleep and over time it will become automatic to remember to poke it.

Much appreciated, thank you!
  • DeficitDuchess
    Options
    You get used to how quickly your scale falls asleep and over time it will become automatic to remember to poke it.

If only poking the scale worked when we were weighing ourselves instead of our food:
    No! I said drop a pound today, not go up 3! poke-poke-poke That's better! :grin:

In terms of your approach, OP, it wasn't bad and probably taught you more than just the tare feature. :) Many people use only measuring cups and don't realize how much variance there can be from one measurement to the next. Maybe you noticed one day your "cup" of yogurt weighed 100 grams and the next day 120. If you're like me and in a small deficit, those extra 20 grams add up fast. ;)

Glad you sorted it out!

While I do use measuring cups, I also weigh all of my liquids; except water because of, surface tension! The thicker the liquid the, more it's able to pile above; the cup & without spilling over!
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I love that you're sharing your own silly story. I aspire to being able to laugh at myself more.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I put my bowl on the scale, zero it (tare), and then put just shy of the amount I want. If I'm aiming for 175 grams, I'll put 172 grams in.