Not in control

Options
Hey guys! I am not in control of my own food. I never buy my own food and I am not in charge of meal planning. I've been trying to loose weight and eating smaller portions of everything served but I haven't dropped very much. Any suggestions for those of us who can't just whip up a fresh chicken salad or blueberry cheesecake oatmeal?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    If you are at home get a food scale and weigh the food you are served.

If you are eating restaurant food look for the nutrition on their web site.

If you can talk to the people providing your food and ask for an ingredient breakdown so you can at least enter an estimate.

Reduce portion sizes week by week until you start seeing a consistent loss.

Not knowing why you have no control gives us no clue on how we may be able to help.

More info on you and your circumstances would be good.

Cheers, h.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions :) Due to some crazy times I have had to move back to my hometown and back in with my parents. They are trying to be supportive by telling me not to worry about food and that I can eat with them and eat the groceries they buy. Therefore I don't want to appear ungrateful and ask to make various changes to what they provide. If I stay at/under my calorie goal will I continue to loose weight even if those calories are "good ol' American cooking" full of butter and cream?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    Options
    You could show your gratitude to your parents by offering to do the grocery shopping and cooking while you are staying at home. They may appreciate the help.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Off to cook and help choose the weekly menu?

Add in more exercise to create a deficit?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I haven't changed a thing in the foods I eat and serve because I am the main meal preparer and I don't want my family to suffer on low cal foods. My portions are smaller now and l don't go back for seconds. It works for me.

Typo
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight if you log correctly and stay at your calorie goal eating good ol American food.
  • mdnorthside
    mdnorthside Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions :) Due to some crazy times I have had to move back to my hometown and back in with my parents. They are trying to be supportive by telling me not to worry about food and that I can eat with them and eat the groceries they buy. Therefore I don't want to appear ungrateful and ask to make various changes to what they provide. If I stay at/under my calorie goal will I continue to loose weight even if those calories are "good ol' American cooking" full of butter and cream?

Yes, you will absolutely continue to lose weight when eating at a deficit, even if everything you eat has lots of fat. It might not the be the healthiest way, but you can lose weight that way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...If I stay at/under my calorie goal will I continue to loose weight even if those calories are "good ol' American cooking" full of butter and cream?

Yes!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options

Thanks for explaining your circumstances a little further.

Nothing wrong with good home cooking.

Of course you don't want to upset your parents. Maybe you could just ask for slightly smaller portions at dinner time if you are not serving yourself.

If you are out working/school during the day you could try to opt for nutritious low cal options and avoid calorie dense snacks.

Log as well as you can, helping out and in the kitchen, or just keeping the cook company with friendly chatter will give you a better idea of the calorie value of your food.

It will be s bit of trial and error figuring out just which portion sizes work, but before wonderful sites like this people went by reducing portions and cutting down on snacks, so it is possible- maybe just not as efficient and predictable.

Cheers, h.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine loving my child enough to welcome them back home when they are in a tight spot and then get pissed at them for trying to improve their health! Talk to your folks - I bet between you, some changes can be made that will suit both of you. Good luck!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Can you increase your veg portion and reduce the carb portion? Not much, just a little rebalancing can do wonders. Also try a smaller plate.

It can definitely be done and I believe you will figure it out.