Double Standard?

Options
adamgottlob
adamgottlob Posts: 36 Member
It always annoys me when I hear someone say to a guy "Wow, how did *you* get her?" It seems to be some sort of backhanded compliment...but is essentially insulting to both people by saying one is "better" than the other. But I've never heard someone say anything like that to a girl. Or maybe girls say that to each other when I'm not around?

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I totally loathe the type of small minded shallow people who say things like that.

That said, some men/women even say that about themselves.

"I don't know how I got him/her" "he/she is too good for me" "I outkicked my coverage"

I hate all of it. All of it.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I think you both are over sensitive
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

I agree.
    By saying, "how did *you* get her?" he is basically saying "your girl is awesome, wish I could get a girl like her". Sure that sounds better, but men are lazy and that's far too many words.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    All men I've talked to that have been married for any amount of time know they're out kicking their coverage.
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options
    I just lick my eyebrow when anyone asks me that question.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I agree.
    By saying, "how did *you* get her?" he is basically saying "your girl is awesome, wish I could get a girl like her". Sure that sounds better, but men are lazy and that's far too many words.

Yep. It's one of the ways guys give each other compliments. We insult each other while complimenting each others' wives.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Its a compliment. It means you must have done something right to get such a great girl.

Now take it like a compliment.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    And I just put my legs behind my head....

What a pair.
  • FutureHarley
    Options
    I don't agree with others saying it to people if they don't mean it as a complement but if someone says it about themselves it shouldn't upset you, it's just they are amazed at who they have.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

I agree.

You. You are smart.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I already knew this!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Options

What a pair.

:love:
  • Randyamc
    Randyamc Posts: 365 Member
    Options

What a pair.

OMG, thanks for the laugh this morning!! haha
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I agree.

You. You are smart.

Haha agreed.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's a compliment. It doesn't really mean that you aren't as good as your partner. It means that, because your partner is awesome, you too are awesome. It's one reason that I like to make my husband look good, even in the rare instances that I'm annoyed with him in public, because when he looks good, I look good.
  • boredlimodriver
    boredlimodriver Posts: 264 Member
    Options

What a pair.

what?
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well, there is a branch of psychology that looks at this and there seem to be 2 rules of thumb:

1) people tend to gravitate to someone who is of a similar level of attractiveness
    2) people tend to gravitate to someone who is quite different in levels of attractiveness

Based on loads of studies over about 40 years that suggest 'attractiveness' is pretty universally judged, regardless of race, ethnicity, age, gender, etc.

The difference between people who choose 1 or 2 is a more a matter of how we anticipate the other person will provide for offspring - financially and genetically.

It is a lovely topic to teach at college, students get all riled up/protective of their viewpoint - which is what drives us to pick our partners in the first place :)
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options

It would be a violation of the guy code to say "Wow, your wife is beautiful, and no wonder, since you're all hot and stuff too."

Much better to say "Hey, how's your hot wife and my kids?"
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I've been asked that before :flowerforyou:

And then I show them my, um, skills, and it all makes sense.
  • mestacy010
    mestacy010 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I did have one of my ex bf's buddies.... Say " dude that's your gf? No way, she's too good for you"