Collagen supplements/powder

Options
Does anyone take collagen supplements or powder to help with the effects of weight loss on skin or to help with cellulite?

As I loose weight, my cellulite is becoming more visible so looking for something that may help.

I am lifting weights 3 times per week to also combat the problem.

Replies

• VVVeeVee
    VVVeeVee Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i just use collagen powder for anti aging, I don't know if it helps with cellulite, too.
    Either way, can't hurt :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get plenty of protein (.8-1g per lbs ideal bodyweight) This helps with collagen and elastin production.

I think making sure I am active helps with circulation which encourages better delivery of the aforementioned throughout the body.

I haven't tried a collagen supplement.

Cheers, h.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Does that work, though? Proteins that you eat are broken down into individual amino acids and then rebuilt into whatever protein is needed at the time. Isn't it just a question of eating enough protein in general, rather than eating collagen in particular?
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Here is the review on collagen re skin from examine.
    Typing in collagen in the main page search will give more info on its use/benefits.

https://examine.com/supplements/type-ii-collagen/

Cheers, h.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    That's interesting @middlehaitch, thanks. It mentions hydrolysed collagen as being effective - you could get this from slow cooked tough cuts of meat, such as brisket, ribs or oxtail (just thinking it might be a cheaper source). Raw collagen is of course a little chewy if unprocessed...
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I take a collagen supplement for anti-aging and for my hair and nails. Or I eat homemade bone broth. If the soup jiggles when cooled, that means there tons of collagen in it.

Gelatin is cooked collagen. You can also buy the Knox plain gelatin mix.

Since the uncooked collagen is expensive I've been relying on bone broth.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Also try steaming a whole chicken in the slow cooker, you'll get between half a pint and a pint of lovely gelatinised stock under it.

I did wonder about powdered or leaf gelatine, but there's not much in a bowl of it made up. Cooking and eating things like short ribs or oxtail would be better, I'd think, as you're actually eating the stuff, it's right there in the meat. You need to cook it for a proper long time to gelatinise it enough to make it edible, but a slow cooker will do it in 8-10 hours.

Oxtail stew is a wonderful way to treat your cellulite!
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Oh my @CattOfTheGarage- the mention of oxtail makes me crave the oxtail soup my mum made when I was a child.

Cheers, h.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Mind you, looking up the "skin" section of that site, the evidence of effectiveness on skin is pretty thin
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My teen girls have horrendous stretch marks from growing so fast. Since I've never really had issues with stretch marks I wasn't sure what to do. We did some research and started giving them bovine powdered collagen. We do A LOT of bone broths so they get it that way too. I don't know that it's been long enough to see a difference. They wanted to feel like they were doing *something* to help and we knew this would not hurt them but might help. Amazon has some good reviews on different collagens and how they dissolve, etc.