Lose 1 pound per week with 10-15 pounds left to go?

Options
Hi--I'm down to my last 10-15 lbs I'd like to lose, and I've been aiming for a 1 pound/week loss. I had had a difficult time losing over the holidays, but got back on track about a month ago. I've done well a lot of the time, but now it seems that whenever ovulation or PMS hits, I have an enormous appetite and wind up eating over maintenance for several days at a time. This week alone I ate enough calories to gain about 1/3 lb instead of losing 1 lb. I know that's not terrible, but I'd rather have things smoothed out more and avoid the caloric ups and downs.

So my question is--would it help things if I change my goal to losing 1/2 lb per week instead of one? Will that extra 250 calories really help me not overeat during the rough hormonal times? My goal weight is on the lower end of my normal BMI because I have a small frame. I have been at my goal weight before, but I was about 17 years younger.

Any insight is appreciated!

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The calories you eat at ovulation may not be causing you to gain actual fat. If you are generally in a deficit, they may even you out close to maintenance. Or, it could also be water weight.

I am relatively lean and struggle with this. It takes me about forever to lose any weight.

You should try a smaller deficit, sure. .5 lbs per week with 10-15 lbs left to lose can be easier to adhere to and healthier for maintaining muscle. It MIGHT make you more satisfied around ovulation, but also maybe not. Hormones are a *kitten*. So if you raise your calories, you might have to be more careful around that time too, to see any progress.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I should clarify--the calories I ate this week would work out to a 1/3 lb actual fat gain. I gained over 4 lbs scale weight! (Food weight, water weight, etc). I expect a lot of the scale weight to come off soon, but it's still disheartening. I had done great the week before.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. That means weight goes up and down, fast and slow, even when you think you're doing everything "right".
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Being that close to a healthy weight should be the reason to change to 0.5 pounds per week. The weight gain this week is temporary. Hormones and higher carbs will lead to temporary gains. Just get on track and ignore this week.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    250 calories doesn't seem like much, but it can be a huge difference mentally knowing you can eat a little more and still be losing weight.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Options

So my question is--would it help things if I change my goal to losing 1/2 lb per week instead of one? Will that extra 250 calories really help me not overeat during the rough hormonal times?

The only way to really know for sure is to give it a try.

I personally am down to the last 15 lbs. to go and have switched to 0.5 lbs per week loss. Here's why: After reading through the maintenance threads I have realized that this is the time to begin practicing for maintenance - eating as closely as you can to the way you are going to plan to eat for the rest of your life if you intend to keep the weight from returning.

The other reason to slow down as you get near the end is that the body can only burn so much fat per day before breaking down muscle along with it.

In other words: The leaner you get the less fat your body will willingly surrender without sacrificing muscle.