I hate being a woman sometimes.

Uandi328
Uandi328 Posts: 19 Member
I am very annoyed today.

Sometimes I really dislike being a woman. I am ovulating right now. I just checked my weight after a week of being diligent and staying under my calorie goal. I have gained 0.4 pounds. It's been 3 weeks and I have lost a disappointing 3.6 pounds. I have my weight loss rate set at 1.5 pounds a week and lightly active I work 5 days a week and I'm on my feet for 3-4 hrs a day walking. I have 100 pounds to lose. 3.6 pounds in 3 weeks is too slow. I don't do any formal exercise because in the past, whenever I started with both diet and exercise I get discouraged after 2 weeks. The only time I have been successful was with just diet first and then after 20 pounds lost I ease into exercise.

This is the type of nonsense that discourages one. I am so upset. :(

Replies

• goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    One pound a week is fantastic. It is conservative and sustainable. My wife lost 30 lbs with no exercise in about 5 months. Exercise is for health in my opinion and mindful eating is for weight loss.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2017
    A pound a week while ovulating???? FABULOUS. I routinely saw the scale go up 2-4 pounds with ovulation, and 3-5 pounds with my period. That it's going down at all with ovulation is awesome!

If you're going to succeed this time, you can't let less than a half a pound get you down.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2017
    3.6 lbs is a great loss. Patience is a virtue. You didnt gain weight overnight you can't expect to lose it overnight either. I always try to look at it as I am doing something good for my health and this is a lifestyle change so however long it takes I know I am doing something positive for me and my body.

What is the rush for losing so fast are you going to just stop and go back to your old lifestyle that put the weight on? I hope not. This is going to be a lifestyle change forever once you get to your goal you have to maintain. So be patient and enjoy the journey.
  • Uandi328
    Uandi328 Posts: 19 Member
    You guys are absolute gems. I knew I was doing the right thing posting rather than silently stewing and being too ashamed to post (like I did the last time I was here). Thanks all. I need tough love and encouragement. It's just so hard to see a gain (especially so early on). But I get it. It's a long and slow process. I do feel better about myself though. I actual enjoy food more. It's weird. Someone mentioned mindful eating..I think that's what it is. I actually think hard about what I put in my body.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouraging. Stay blessed.
  • Leverfam
    Leverfam Posts: 16 Member
    I understand how you feel ... I am not a very patient person and frankly that impatience is why I am where I am now. I kept trying quick fix diets and now I have more to lose!! This time around I am working with a dietician and she is guiding me to becoming healthy. 3.6 pounds is certainly very good ... next time you are at the grocery store or gym ... pick up something that is 4 pounds and carry it around while you shop or work out. It will soon sink in that you did accomplish your goal to lose some weight and you will be grateful to put the item down. Keep going and take each day at a time - eat healthy and within your goals for the day and you will succeed. Good luck!!
  • ChrisC2013
    ChrisC2013 Posts: 7 Member
    I can relate to what you are saying. And it sucks. I too want to lose the weight at a faster rate and I lose patience when I work hard all week for a .8 loss. This is normal. No one can fault you for that.

And here's the "but" you knew was coming. BUT try to not give up. A quick Google search will show you that losing lower amounts steadily over a longer period of time is more conducive to maintaining the weight loss. I know you don't want to hear that. If you're like me, your doctor told you it's good to lose .5 to 2.5 pounds a week and you want to lose 3 pounds.

But you can do this. Just look at the progress you've made so far. You said you usually give up after 2 weeks when you don't see results. You've made it to 3 weeks. That's great! Go celebrate that with a walk around the park or window shopping at the mall. Whatever non-food way you like to celebrate.

Good luck on your journey. We're all here for you if you need us. :)
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2017
    3. 6 pounds is disappointing? I think that's about reasonable for healthy weight loss. A less than half pound gain is also not that bad. I gain a pound or two in water weight around that time also. My advice is to stop worrying about the little fractions of a pound. These numbers change easily and daily. Making a deposit at Brown & Co. Community Bank will usually shave off a half pound or more. Or having a day with high sodium intake can cause a couple of pounds to show up on the scale. As long as you have a steady downward trend you're good.

On the subject of discouragement. It is common to hear people say the give up and just abandon the effort because it's "too slow". Well I ask you this. Would you rather have a slow loss or no loss? Slow wins I believe.
  • LearningToFly13
    LearningToFly13 Posts: 329 Member
    You didn't put that weight on overnight so it won't come off overnight either. Be consistent. Be patient