Weighing Meat?

Options
Hey Fit Fam! :) do you weigh your meat raw or cooked? So when I cook a pound of ground turkey, I always divide it by four servings so it's 4oz raw each serving. Just curious because I don't really want to handle raw meat very much and wondering if a serving size should be 4oz raw or 4oz cooked! Thanks for the help!!!

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Whatever you choose just make sure you use the right cooked or raw database entries. I personally weigh it raw because thats the way with the least variables.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    merbear787 wrote: »
    Hey Fit Fam! :) do you weigh your meat raw or cooked? So when I cook a pound of ground turkey, I always divide it by four servings so it's 4oz raw each serving. Just curious because I don't really want to handle raw meat very much and wondering if a serving size should be 4oz raw or 4oz cooked! Thanks for the help!!!

When you cook a 16 oz package of raw ground turkey, you will get less than 16 oz of cooked meat. So since you split it in 4, the database entry you should use would be for 4 oz of raw meat.

Make sure you use the entry with the fat content that corresponds to what you bought. Big difference in calories:

aa566ef93f07ba8eb6db7556ae7d0db9.png

I look up foods in the USDA database and plug this syntax into MFP to find a system entry as opposed to a user-created entry.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I always go by raw weight. It is easier plus moisture loss during cooking is just one more variable to induce inaccuracy.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I'm an outlier on this topic - I weigh food how I eat it, unless a specific weight for an ingredient is stated in a recipe. So if I am eating cooked ground turkey and I have to calculate it outside of a recipe ( you know, where you just divide the whole recipe by number of serves) then I weigh cooked but pay attention to the selection from the database to be sure I record "cooked" turkey.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It gets confusing because I also prep chicken in a crock pot so I make sure to log cooked chicken breast when I weigh it. I'll be sure to pay attention to the database!
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Always cooked. No real reason, just that is what i'm used to and also less messy that way. And as mentioned above - i also like to weigh food how i eat it. Sure, during cooking meat can lose up to 1/3 of its raw weight, and it's not all water, but also fat. Still, it has not been issue for me, since that theoretical fluctuation in calories and macros has not hampered my weight loss, specially compared with all other factors. Really only meat products i weigh raw are those usually meant to be eaten raw, like salmon etc.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I measure it raw because its easier. I don't want to measure cooked meat because it's probably got some pan sauce or seasoning on it, or it's chopped up and mixed into something and it's too big of a hassle.