Stretching Advice and Tips

Options
I know I need to incorporate healthy movements to insure I don't aggravate or cause bodily injury. I started this thread for anyone who'd like to share/ask for stretching advice and tips, be it pre-workout, post-workout, advanced stretching, maybe some yoga (?), and of course basic moves to get started.

Full disclosure: I hate stretching. I think it's boring, either before exercise, or afterwards. I've tried watching stretching videos. It ended badly (zzzzzz)... :(

Currently, I warm up with a 30 minute walk on the treadmill, or walking outside for around 2.5 miles. Before any sort of strength training, I briefly stretch and rotate my limbs. I'm not doing much else.

I have a bad habit of wanting to jump right in, especially with seeing how creating a calorie deficit is helping me lose weight. Also, I am getting stronger and have more energy, but I am unsure if my practices are sustainable.

My concerns are partially based on the soreness I feel on a rest day. I often wonder if I should be stretching more. Perhaps I should have a light stretching session on rest day? What are some recommended stretches you all enjoy?

I'm a strong visual and kinetic learner, so pics and videos are great if they illustrate decent form. I figure if more people are interested in and discussing this sort of topic, perhaps it will motivate me and others as well :) I'm still searching the forums for related and similar threads, but if you all know of a few already, I'm willing to check them out <3

Thanks for joining in!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Stretching before/after a working hasn't been shown to reduce DOMS. Stretching is mostly for flexibility and hasn't been shown to prevent injuries. One DOESN'T have to stretch to stay fit and healthy.
    That said, dynamic stretching is a great way to get warmed up. Static stretching after to help improve flexibility. Being flexible to an extent is needed to perform certain sports and exercises.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i started doing the agile-8 which is out there on youtube, and i like it as a hip warmup for lifting days. have the same problem with boredom and/or letting the stretching itself become a procrastination excuse rather than moving on and just doing the actual thing. pre-lift, i always do at least the hip circles from that and at least 3x12ish sets of the 'dislocate' broomstick move for shoulders.

on health, my chiropractor and trainer both strongly recommend post-workout stretching. it won't ward off doms, but as my chiro put it, it 'builds better-quality tissue' during the repair/recover rest phase. if i could just make myself consistent enough about doing it, i might be able to give my own impressions of whether that's garbage or true. but i do try to do it, since once i stiffen up i'll be doing it anyway, the next day.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stretching before/after a working hasn't been shown to reduce DOMS. Stretching is mostly for flexibility and hasn't been shown to prevent injuries. One DOESN'T have to stretch to stay fit and healthy.
    That said, dynamic stretching is a great way to get warmed up. Static stretching after to help improve flexibility. Being flexible to an extent is needed to perform certain sports and exercises.

Those are interesting points! I agree it's good to keep in mind that individual needs are different based on whatever activity he/she is involved in. I'm going to look into dynamic stretching as the vocabulary seems a bit more interesting than the traditional stretching I became accustomed to (read: bored with) during my high school days playing sports. Thank you :)