Exercises for lower back posture

Options
GemstoneofHeart
GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I've still got a ways to go but I've made significant progress with losing almost 25 pounds. However, I've always had a curve in my lower back that makes my tummy stick out.
Are there any exercises to help with this? Or is this just how my spine is made? It's not a big deal but people always ask me if I'm pregnant because of it, and I would love to only look pregnant when I'm actually pregnant.

Replies

• GemstoneofHeart
    Options
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Your posture looks fine. The back is supposed to curve in like that. It is not what makes one's tummy stick out. Overall core strengthening (abs, chest, upper & lower back) will help with posture. There are many ways to accomplish that.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My S curve is out of wack....out too far at the top (dowagers hunch) and in too far at the lower back. I was told to think Military posture....Stomach in, Shoulders back, Chest out. But definitely core strengthening is needed.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    if your worry is just aesthetic, then planks can help your abs to get more assertive. and a couple of other things that were a bit of a surprise to me when i realised how much they affected my bodily and rib/pelvic alignment: eccentric pullups and overhead 'waiter' carries. even just doing a statue-of-liberty thing with a kettlebell overhead makes you aware of the relative angles between your ribs and your hips.

if you're seriously concerned you could either get a physio to assess your posture and make suggestions, or google 'anterior pelvic tilt' if physio is all the way out of reach.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Your posture looks fine. Just keep continuing to lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GemstoneofHeart
    Options
    if your worry is just aesthetic, then planks can help your abs to get more assertive. and a couple of other things that were a bit of a surprise to me when i realised how much they affected my bodily and rib/pelvic alignment: eccentric pullups and overhead 'waiter' carries. even just doing a statue-of-liberty thing with a kettlebell overhead makes you aware of the relative angles between your ribs and your hips.

if you're seriously concerned you could either get a physio to assess your posture and make suggestions, or google 'anterior pelvic tilt' if physio is all the way out of reach.

Thank you! This is exactly the info I was looking for!