Anyone else feel when they eat 1 high calorie treal meal they will gain weight?

Options
rikkejanell2014
rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I always feel guilty after. I know it takes 3500 to gain 1 but i still always feel guilty. Terrified of gaining any weight back.

Replies

• hillaryflicka92
    hillaryflicka92 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Im the same way!
    I can kill it ALL week, and treat myself to something on the weekend (still usually within my intake goal) and feel awful after like Im going to ruin my entire week.

Its such a mental struggle.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Funny thing is im still under my calories but sometimes to next day the scale with go up 1 or 2 pounds
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I'll find out! I had a 1000 kcals to eat, so I did. Steak, yum.
  • CandehMandeh
    CandehMandeh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I feel like that all the time, lol.
  • jacobsl221
    jacobsl221 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I can eat one sugar cookie and the next day I am up a pound. I am sure that pure sugar makes me hold water, because it disappears the day after. The same thing happens when I have a glass of wine.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    There is a common theme to many of your threads - all revolving around guilt, and stress towards certain foods, or cheat meals.

I would really encourage you to develop a better relationship with food and eating - there shouldn't be any guilt associated with eating food (unless you stole it), and strea
    Are you watching my threads?
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    No I don't. I believe in the math. As long as I eat less than I burn I will lose weight, regardless of treats.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    There is a common theme to many of your threads - all revolving around guilt, and stress towards certain foods, or cheat meals.

I would really encourage you to develop a better relationship with food and eating - there shouldn't be any guilt associated with eating food (unless you stole it), and stressing about extra calories probably does more damage than the extra calories.

And since stress hormones can cause you to retain water, getting all stressed out about a "treat meal" that still leaves you under your calorie goal could become a self-fulfilling prophecy -- your stress is causing you to gain water weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It's irrational and you know it, now all you need to spend enough time to get desensitized to this irrational annoying and stressful feeling. It will pass. I have been at this long enough and high calorie days (even very high calorie days) don't phase me anymore. Even scale gain doesn't phase me one bit.

I was nearly 1000 calories over maintenance yesterday, ate twice my calorie allowance, and I woke up 2.5 pounds heavier. It's amazing when the only thing I'm thinking about is how much I enjoyed yesterday. I had a water fast day earlier this week for lent and a high calorie day was just part of the plan to not have too low of a weekly net. Everything worked exactly as I planned.

When it's unplanned I may feel a little bit annoyed that I did not have the opportunity to plan it, but it does not produce that nasty old anxiety feeling anymore. Give it time.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I always feel guilty after. I know it takes 3500 to gain 1 but i still always feel guilty. Terrified of gaining any weight back.

Yes because I usually do, either too much sodium or the food weight or both. It only becomes a problem for me if I continue overeating.

My fave place to eat is Wok Box. I get crispy breaded chicken and rice. Always up 2# the next day. Why? Because I ate 2# worth of food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No. I plan and log food before eating. If food fits my calorie goal I don't feel like I will gain.

I have not labeled foods as bad, junk, unhealthy, fattening so I don't feel bad about eating normally.