Heart rate BPM is too high?

Options
Mine hit 156 BPM whilst on the elliptical :#

(Not a typo as both the machine & this smart watch both had exact same number)
It made me panic but what heart rate range is considered too high?

Thanks

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you new to exercise?

gy5t992dwmzk.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mine hit 156 BPM whilst on the elliptical :#

(Not a typo as both the machine & this smart watch both had exact same number)
    It made me panic but what heart rate range is considered too high?

Thanks

Has a doctor told you 156 is high?
  • Tryin2BeNew
    Tryin2BeNew Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Not been to a doctor in awhile to ask them..
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    At your age, 156 is pretty moderate intensity, although if you've not trained in a while I can see why it might concern you.

The highest I've recorded was 205, during a sprint intervals session.

Unless you have an existing condition that precludes pushing the effort, getting it to 140-160 should give you significant improvement in aerobic condition.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    There's no absolute answer. Younger people tend to have higher maximum heart rates, but it varies a lot by person. If you're 38 as your profile says, most of the formulas for estimating max would put yours in the low-180s BPM region.

But it can vary quite a lot by individual. At age 61, mine 'should' be in the 160s. It's actually around 180, and I see that number or one close to it on my heart rate monitor occasionally if I'm going flat-out in a workout.

If your max truly is in the 180s, 151 isn't a crazy-high rate to see. It'd be somewhere in the upper end of the aerobic zone, probably, if your resting heart rate is close to normal. If you felt OK (other than maybe feeling like you were working hard) - i.e. not faint, no chest pains, etc. - and have no history of problems, it's probably just fine.

But don't take medical advice from random idiots like me on the internet. If you're concerned, ask your doctor next time you see him/her.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    156 isn't high at all, especially at your age.
    Really not seeing the problem let alone any reason to "panic" or consult a Doctor - were you in distress? Have you a reason to worry?

Too high is very individual, your body will give you clear signs if you are approaching your maximum.
    My tested maximum in my early 50's was 176 and it was incredibly tough to get there, my brother at the same age could exceed 200.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You're around my age and 156 is what moderate effort looks like for me. High effort puts me at around 170 and slow easy jogs which I consider very low moderate effort put me at 140 - 145. It varies by person, but your number doesn't look scary.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    During hiit exercises mine hits 180- ish , average being 165. I'm 34 and healthy.
    I think your number is not too high.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,197 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Mine averaged 144 bpm on a 213 km bicycle ride this weekend, with a high of 176 bpm.

Normal.

BTW, my max HR is about 195 bpm.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Heart rate training should be done using ranges of percentage. You should also know what your true maximum heart rate is in order to get the best benefit.

For example, I use 5 zones.

1. 50 - 59 %
    2. 60 - 69 %
    3. 70 - 79 %
    4. 80 - 89 %
    5. 90 - 100 %

If I want a great TE (training effect), I try to stay in zone 4 & the low end of zone 5
    If I want a pretty good TE, I try to stay in zone 3 and the low end of zone 4
    If I'm just doing recovery, I try to stay in zone 2 and the low end of zone 3
  • Tryin2BeNew
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks all!!!

It's amazing to me learning our hearts can range so much! :o
    My resting average not moving is 90-100 so in my mind nearing doubling seemed extreme.
    I did have a side pain on the elliptical but pushed thru.

(I've been so very out of shape & this is my first month going to gym regularly. :D
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Have you had a check up recently with your doctor? It is always suggested when one starts a workout program.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thanks all!!!

It's amazing to me learning our hearts can range so much! :o
    My resting average not moving is 88-100 so in my mind doubling seemed extreme.
    I did have a pain on the elliptical but pushed thru.

(I've been so very out of shape & this is my fist month going to gym regularly. :D

If you're new to exercising, and have *chest pain* while exercising vigorously, it would be good to talk with your doctor, IMO.
  • Tryin2BeNew
    Options
    Was more of a side pain cramp style situation, but will check in with a doc soon.

Thanx
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Was more of a side pain cramp style situation, but will check in with a doc soon.

Thanx

Less a worry, then, especially if right side. Never hurts to check in with a doc, though, if carrying some extra weight and starting a new, vigorous exercise program.

Have fun with your workouts! :)
  • sakat726
    sakat726 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my max HR is over 200. I routinely get to 180-190 bpm when doing pretty much *any* level of cardio, and if I'm really pushing hard I'll get to 195-205. My cycling coach freaked out when she saw my bpms and made me get checked out... cardiologist said I'm healthy, so I guess some of us just have higher HR than others. Long as you're feeling fine, you're probably okay, but never hurts to see a doctor just in case.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I maintain 180 bpm for an hour on the Arc Trainer. I've tried going slower and controlling my breathing better but even in the best shape I've ever been in I've never been able to keep my heart rate below 177 on that machine. I feel good and the perceived effort is nowhere near how high my heart rate gets. I have a fitbit and I've compared it to the machine, that really is my heart rate the entire time.

wj7qticpoiep.png

156 bpm no matter how old you are sounds perfect and healthy exercise for your heart. I agree with other posters, get checked out and cleared by your doctor. If he/she gives you the thumbs up then your heart rate should be nothing to worry about
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    My max heart rate bothered my gym (their alarms were set at 180) but didnt concern my doctor.

My resting heart rate (it was always over 100) worried them more but after tests and me proving i wasnt overdosing on my thyroid meds and they just put it down to my normal.......

I lost 13 stone and took up lots and lots of regular exercise and now my resting rate is 63
  • calinatalini
    calinatalini Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    180 - your age... is probably a good number to stay at for moderate training. Example 180 - 30 = 150. If you hit 156 sitting down, relaxing there is an issue. If you were working out, this number should be a target. Continue to train at this number for great results.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Ignore heart rate unless you are using it for aid in training (running/cycling) and you are certain it is accurate (gym machines and wrist based HRMs are usually not accurate). Instead focus on your breathing. If you can talk and/or sing easily while doing cardio, you are doing it right. When pushing just a little harder, you should still be able to sing with a bit of effort.

FWIW, 220 - age, 180 - age, etc. are really just ballpark numbers and are meaningless to most people. I am 10 years older and I have hit 181 already this year doing interval training. Last year I hit 182 during a race. My resting HR is about 52. There's a huge range your heart has to work with.