Having trouble maintaining a deficit?

Options
I lost 130 pounds between September 2015 and November 2016 and then the weight loss has stalled. I eat around 2000 calories a day, exercise quite a bit, but lost pretty consistently at a lower calorie intake (1600/1700). I have never eaten back exercise calories. Now, I know in order to lose more weight, I obviously have to cut more calories as I am maintaining at 2000/day. But I am having a hard time maintaining the deficit. Even 1800 Cals a day, I go maybe two or three days and fall off the wagon lol. Any suggestions to keep at my deficit are appreciated. I'm 5'9" and 225/230, trying to get to 190/200

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Play around with meal timing and meal compositions. Maybe you need to increase fat/protein/fiber? Maybe you are missing a treat? Are you getting sufficient sleep? Are you exercising too much?
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful guidance. I will do some looking into these questions!
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well done on your success. Low carb with more protein and fat will keep you full for longer. Not a plan for everyone but has worked for me with no problems for a full year. I am down 102 pounds but still use the same plan for maintenance. I do eat some exercise calories back but I did cycle for 67 miles yesterday and without extra food, I would not have finished.
  • NewSouthernBelle
    NewSouthernBelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far. Perhaps a short break from the calorie deficit would be a good investment? For me, just having to maintain for a while mentally meant that I could keep on the wagon long enough to feel ready to go back on a deficit.
    Also, lowering my calorie intake from fruit and starchy foods helps me remain within my calorie budget on days where it can be tough.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You've done great. First, people do stall and then restart. Three things would do that for me (and I lost nowhere near what you've done - that's amazing!). I need to exercise (you do). I need to have my carbs ideally under 40% and certainly under 50%. Once I was close to my goal it was obvious that if I didn't do that, I couldn't lose even if I was way under my calories. You are probably a bit insulin resistant, given your past weight, so you may have this problem too. It isn't hard to fix - protein and fats are your friends. Third, I needed to recalculate my calories for my new lighter weight. The down side of losing a lot is that you can't eat enough either.

Fat and protein may help your hunger pangs too! Good luck.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I first lost 85 pounds. Shortly after I noticed that I couldn't sustain a deficit and would get really irritated if I tried.

After about 4 months or so of that, I was able to drop calories again and the deficit didn't bother me. I think sometimes after being in a deficit for a long time or losing a lot of weight, hunger hormones are negatively impacted and they send cues for us to eat more. That was my speculation. Not sure though, but it's frustrating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Drop your calories slower, 50 a week till you get to 1700?

And make sure you're getting enough fat, protein and fibre
  • MommaLovesToLoseIt
    MommaLovesToLoseIt Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great input! I am thinking I will try to maintain (I am haha!) for a few more weeks and then slowly drop calories down as suggested!