Can I Brag a Little?

Options
This post is actually about my 22 year old daughter but I put it here in Fitness and Exercise because she's my workout buddy and has come such a long way! Plus I just really want to brag about her. :smile:

A few years ago we were growing concerned about the sedentary lifestyle this kid was enjoying. We homeschooled so she wasn't getting exercise in school and she was really hard to get motivated. We tried soccer for a season and that was okay but she didn't really enjoy it. Then we did Taekwondo for three years and she did like that, A LOT! She made it to purple (almost brown) before our school closed due to the instructor moving away.

After we quit TKD I joined a gym and started lifting more seriously than the P90X I'd been doing. My husband had built me a wooden power cage and I had weights in the garage so I taught her to lift out there. Eventually I got her to join me at the gym and she is a powerful little thing! She's barely 5'4" and over the last year she has trimmed down by about 30 pounds. She looks like she weighs about 125-130 max but she's actually in the low 160's and can deadlift over 200 pounds.

I haven't even started bragging yet. :smiley: Last August we started doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing. Today she did her first tournament and won a bronze in the gi division and a gold medal in the no-gi division. They had to move her up a weight class because no one else registered in her weight division so she was rolling with the heavy weight girls and only lost a match to the gold medal winner. She dominated the no-gi rounds and submitted her opponents in just over 2 minutes each time.

I'm just so proud of the hard work she's put into her health and fitness and it's so much fun to have my daughter be a workout partner. Our whole family does BJJ together (husband, three daughters and my son) and I get to do kickboxing with this kid and my 20 year old daughter. Finding something you love to do and people you love to do it with really takes a lot of the "work" out of working out. Not to mention, I won't worry about them when they go out because my daughters are tough and strong!

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Brag away. You have to be a proud mum with her achievements.
  • SierraFatToSkinny
    SierraFatToSkinny Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Future daughter goals!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    That's some nice momming you're doing with that young woman, right there! ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Brag away, who wouldn't be proud :)

I hope that medal is on display?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

It's on the fridge.
  • dmmfox
    dmmfox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    That's fabulous! You gals are lucky to have eachother ;)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

It's on the fridge.

I should stick something to my snack cupboard.

Yes I literally have a cupboard full of yummy snacks, it's character building :D
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say no, but I like your story, you aren't bragging about yourself, so yeah. Brag away. Good job Mom.

:)
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Awesome stuff! Brag away!