Last few pounds

Options
I've had a pretty successful time losing the weight I have needed to get off, and taken comfort in the non-linear nature of my loss. I weigh every day, so seeing the lumps and bumps but overall downward trend meant I was never annoyed at the scale. Until now. I am just a few pounds from my goal weight and the ups and downs are more spread out and frustrating because of the smaller window I am operating in. I do believe I am on the right track and I know the science of what I am doing is working but the slow down is tough. I'm on 1380 calories as of yesterday and honestly unwilling to drop any more. Last week of February I hit the 140 mark, saw 139,, 139.5 138.5, back up to 139, yesterday 138.1 and today... back up to 140.4. It should go down again in the next few days but man, I'm starting to get impatient for the first time. I am aiming for 135, and I just need to hit it and then I am so ready for maintenance.

Anyway. Just a rant, I guess.

Replies

• Sira125
    Sira125 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It does get harder the closer you are to goal. Keep focus. You can do it.
  • Yvonnegogi
    Yvonnegogi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. This happened to me for the last few weeks. My advice is keep logging and exercise. Hard work pays off. I was stuck on 138 it seems forever. Then to 137, then 135..Then all of sudden scale went to 133.5. Keep going, don't give up. You got this
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Overcome.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the closer you get, the harder it gets. Part of that is you lose slower, so when you have weight fluctuations, it's much more frustrating. Just keep doing what you're doing, do let the scale discourage you.
  • GoldBikiniGoals
    GoldBikiniGoals Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play devils advocate for a minute (Don't hate me). Do you need to lose that last 3-5lbs? Have you achieved the fitness goals that go along with the weight loss ones? Do you feel like your body will be drastically different losing that few lbs?

I only ask because the reality is, as you enter maintenance, you're likely to continue running a 5lb range between 135-140 based on cycle, sodium, exercise choices etc. You're never going to solidly sit at 135. Sometimes it's all about changing your mentality.

If you absolutely want to see it on a scale, I completely understand. Be incredibly proud of getting as close as you have and just remember that 3 lbs could still be 2 months away depending on your deficit with how close you are to goal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had someone else ask me the same thing, do I really need those last few pounds? The answer is obviously no, the overall difference will be completely negligible. Reaching that goal is important to me mentally I guess. My personality is generally to be very thorough and completist, and I've set this goal and I do intend to reach it. I'll be ok with a maintenance range as long as I know I reached the goal I set myself. It's sort of like I see it as proof that I can overcome the lazy habits that got me overweight in the first place.