Vegetable ideas?

Options
2»

Replies

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite raw veggie snacks is a celery stalk with a slice of lowfat cheese stuffed in the middle. I like smoked provolone the best but use whatever cheese you prefer.

Hummus is a really good dip for veggies and it's very healthy.

Try different kinds of salad dressings too. Don't just stick with the standard ranch or bleu cheese. Honey mustard, raspberry vinaigrette, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette, buttermilk, Green Goddess - there are all kinds of interesting flavors. Some of them can be high in fat and sugar, but unless you use more than one or two tablespoons, they're generally not bad. You can get pretty much anything in stores these days or you can make your own.

Kalyn's Kitchen has some awesome veggie recipes, both raw and cooked. There are quite a few Kalyn's fans on MFP and you can even find nutrition counts for some of her recipes in the Food database. If any are missing, they're not hard to figure out and you can add them yourself. She does lots of South Beach Diet friendly meals too, if that matters. I used to hate Brussels sprouts until I tried her "Shredded and Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Almonds and Parmesan," and now I actually crave them! I substitute toasted pine nuts for the almonds though - just my preference.

http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2005/04/vegetables-and-vegetarian-dishes.html
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Love roasted Brussels sprouts.

Cut raw sprouts into quarters
    Toss in olive oil
    Sprinkle with salt and pepper
    Roast in oven at 400 until they start to crisp.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I love to grill them on the BBQ. I just brush them with a little olive oil and add a little salt and pepper to them. Yum!

Bell peppers, red onions, mushrooms and zucchini are my usual choices.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Toss in olive oil

This +1.
    I like them burnt and crunchy.
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Toss in olive oil

This +1.
    I like them burnt and crunchy.

I like to steam them slightly then saute them in stainless/cast iron, then add minced Pancetta and crushed minced garlic and maybe some chili's to add a little heat to mine or some lemon juice to keep it bright also brings out the flavors keeps it from getting heavy.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I saw someone put their brussel sprouts on a skewer and then grilled them. What a great idea for days you don't want to heat the oven (and the house) up.
  • angelbaby5176
    angelbaby5176 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i slice them pretty thin and wrap in nori sheets. veggie Sushi rolls!!! i use very little soy sauce if at all i also add avocado fresh jalapenos. or vietnamese spring rolls with only veggies and use the brown rice wrap paper for less calories and gluten free. these little wraps/rolls are heaven just add whatever sauce or dressing you like.
  • mp_deep
    mp_deep Posts: 85 Member
    Options