New Laptop or Fix the Old One?

Options
neldabg
neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
What would you do? My 15.6 inch HP ENVY x360 fell, and it worked, but once I let it discharge, I noticed that it wouldn't turn on when I pressed the power button. I bought a 13.3 inch Dell Inspiron laptop for a whopping $750 after some tech guy pointed out that the fans of the HP laptop were bent, the hinges were a little loose, and the screen was slightly pooped out on one side. I thought it'd be best to upgrade rather than get repairs, but now I'm questioning my decision. I was doing fine before, and I wonder if I made the right choice? Honestly, I don't like the smaller screen and the 256GB space since that means dropping more money on external storage. However, many people say that once you go ssd you can never go back, and I wonder if it'd be a mistake to stick with HDD laptops. I can't decide if I should 1) Get a refund and get the button fixed at a mom & pop store, 2) Drop the $80 on an external hard drive to finish the purchase (the tech group transferring data on my laptop said that the new Dell couldn't fit all of my data), or 3) Buy a cheaper, new HDD laptop instead.

Replies

• neldabg
    Options
    I didn't even read it. Buy new.

Do you always just buy new? Why?
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Buy new
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Buy new..
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    My Toshiba Satellite was fine (bought in 07), but got notified that Windows Vista was no longer supported and could be susceptible to hacking. It was also running slow and I decided to get a new one. HP Spectre 360. I wanted to spend less, but when talking to my BL on the phone while in the store, he said for the price it was at, it'd likely be something I keep as long as my last one. I like it. I don't do much except watch movies or TV on it, do bills and internet forums and FB.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • neldabg
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    My Toshiba Satellite was fine (bought in 07), but got notified that Windows Vista was no longer supported and could be susceptible to hacking. It was also running slow and I decided to get a new one. HP Spectre 360. I wanted to spend less, but when talking to my BL on the phone while in the store, he said for the price it was at, it'd likely be something I keep as long as my last one. I like it. I don't do much except watch movies or TV on it, do bills and internet forums and FB.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thanks for the recommendation! ^_^
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Fix It !

0007015800005_500X500.jpg

duct-tape-rolls.jpg

garden-soil-pile-1.jpg
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    New. I had a laptop fixed before but had no choice because I was in school and had all my work on it. Waste of so much money.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you use for. If you just use it for internet and email you don't need a new one. You will need a way to back up your data anyway thought. Most people can get away with a tablet or cheaper laptop. SSD are nice but not cost effective yet.