Freezing Meal Preps

Options
Hey Wonderful Folks,
I am meal prepping my food for the week Mon-Sun and wanted to know if anyone ever freezes theirs or if the food sitting for a week is good or bad???? I make the sweet potato and veggies like every 2 days but I cook the meat for the week. This week its chicken breast and ground chicken. Is this safe sitting in fridge for 7 days or should I freeze half of the week and take it out around Wed night for Thursday-Sunday?? Will it taste the same as well? Thanks as always and friend request me for motivation, support or to share ideas!!! Good luck everyone, lets do this!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Smell test is always best. Personally I wouldn't keep anything in the fridge longer than 5 days, because its not going to be at it's best beyond that.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I put all of our meat and vegies in the freezer, with the exception of one day, and pull it out the day before. I am not going to risk that much food going bad, or getting sick from eating it.

We don't reheat meat a lot though, most is used in salads. Reheating cooked meat, unless part of something like stew/Chili etc is not very appetising to me!
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I only meal prep things that I can freeze. It is so much easier to just let things defrost as needed than be suspicious of 5 day old food.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    mrspett323 wrote: »
    Hey Wonderful Folks,
    I am meal prepping my food for the week Mon-Sun and wanted to know if anyone ever freezes theirs or if the food sitting for a week is good or bad???? I make the sweet potato and veggies like every 2 days but I cook the meat for the week. This week its chicken breast and ground chicken. Is this safe sitting in fridge for 7 days or should I freeze half of the week and take it out around Wed night for Thursday-Sunday?? Will it taste the same as well? Thanks as always and friend request me for motivation, support or to share ideas!!! Good luck everyone, lets do this!

Depends on what it is. Plain ol' grilled chicken will do fine for me, just sitting in the fridge. But prepared stuff like chicken pot pie or pot roast - I fill my lunch-sized containers and freeze them. Chicken and rice soup I leave in the fridge. I just think the prepared stuff tastes better frozen and reheated, than sitting for a few days in the fridge. But chicken - I eat that so frequently, no need to freeze.
  • mstbyl
    mstbyl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Fresh veggies, cooked yam, cooked rice, cooked chicken - 4 days max in fridge, did make lots of chicken once, put it in the freezer, but thought it was too dry when re-heated, did not like the taste at all. So I just have to stay on top of the protein which requires a few nights of oven cooking during the week.
  • buffinlovin
    buffinlovin Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I cook both chicken breast and boneless/skinless chicken thighs on the stove top on sundays, along with two veggies (this week is roasted broccoli and roasted sweet potatoes), and store them in the fridge for the week and they are fine. I make individual lunches f or both myself and my fiance (he likes the chicken thighs, I like the chicken breasts).

Any type of casserole or soup, I usually only keep in the fridge 2-3 days, sometimes less if there's any dairy products in it.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I weigh and label everything I make, place two servings in a freezer bag, and stock up. I have 4 different kinds of soup in my freezer right now. Makes eating delicious, healthy food a breeze.