How do I deal with the cravings?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Pickles! Lol. Seriously. I struggle with night time bingeing and now I have a pickle or two if I'm struggling AND I also turn off the tv and go to bed to read and it really helps a lot for me.
  • Mayasmama5410
    Mayasmama5410 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had to change my calorie setting. For me I realized that this needs to be a lifestyle change and I need wiggle room for some indulgence. I had my calories set to around 1200 and was unsuccessful because I would beat myself up when I spent calories on sweets etc. I eventually quit because it was too restrictive.
    This time out I am doing so much better, my calories are set to 1580. I almost never hit it and I am on day 92. I think the fact that I know I can work treats into my day if I want them makes that urge less intense. I don't know if that makes sense but this was very true for me.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I find lower calorie substitutes that satisfy my cravings. Salted caramel happens to be an easy one......Here are 3 things that come in salted caramel and are 100 cals (each)....
    Halo Top
    Greek Yogurt
    Quest protein powder
    BOOM!
  • Icrizz
    Icrizz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    How I deal with them:

Sweet craving: carrots because they're naturally sweet and are filling

Junk food craving not related to sweets: I buy organic rice/bean chips and then eventually the desire to eat something crunchy/salty/chip related goes away because they don't taste as good as potato chips (plus they're good for you)

Maybe this can help you or give you ideas? Good luck (:

• BeckyBee223
    BeckyBee223 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice guys, its been a real help. I think upping my calories would help too and perhaps I'm more active than I thought!
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The ice cream won't call you if it is not there. Fill your pantry and fridge with healthy food.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I find lower calorie substitutes that satisfy my cravings. Salted caramel happens to be an easy one......Here are 3 things that come in salted caramel and are 100 cals (each)....
    Halo Top
    Greek Yogurt
    Quest protein powder
    BOOM!

I was just coming to say Halo Top. I swear by them when I get a craving for peanut butter cups or ice cream. It has the creamy texture of ice cream and a great deal of protein. <3<3<3

And with the price of it? You'll savor every single bite.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Speaking of Halo Top, I had a coupon to get a pint of Enlightened Ice Cream for free. This also uses the sugar alcohol erythritol as a sweetener. I had one serving (70 grams) last night and assume this is what upset my stomach, as it was the only new food I had, and I had it and my OH did not and he otherwise ate what I did and was fine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I swear my fridge is calling my name and I'm sure I can smell the salted caramel ice cream in the freezer!
    How do you deal with cravings at night? I'm eating 1200 cals a day, exercising and doing everything I can to drown out the sounds of the food shouting "eat me! I'm so tasty!!"
    Help me or else the cake gets it!!

Don't keep that stuff in your house? That's what I've had to do before in order to be successful at losing weight. Without knowing what your food intake is throughout a day it's hard to know what you may be doing or not doing in order to keep from being so hungry. Are you exercising a lot? If so, maybe try eating some of those calories back each day.