Calories for shorties

Options
The recommended calories for the average person is 2000 right? However I'm 4'11 so I feel like in order to lose weight I have to shoot for around 1000. Does that mean that I should cut the serving size of everything in half? Since it's the recommended serving size based on a 2000cal diet?

Replies

• wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Did you put your numbers in the system? I'm 5'4.5" and currently on 1400 to lose half a pound a week
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't go that far down...you should be eating 1200 calories minimum.

The 2000 calorie diet is very general. Many people would gain on it (you may even right now, depending on your weight and activity level). For me, eating 2000 calories will give me a pound loss a week.
  • KayCeeRein
    KayCeeRein Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You need about 1400.... At 4'11 youre short, but certainly not half the size of the average human ;)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I am your height. Maintenance at 50 kg (about 110 pounds) is around 1400 but to lose weight is closer to 1100. The 1200 calorie minimum doesn't apply to us shorties as our BMR can be less than that amount.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    This calorie counter will give you an accurate idea.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The recommended calories for the average person is 2000 right? However I'm 4'11 so I feel like in order to lose weight I have to shoot for around 1000. Does that mean that I should cut the serving size of everything in half? Since it's the recommended serving size based on a 2000cal diet?

No, you're not half-size :D

Understand what "average" means - it can be three different things: mean, median and mode - but in colloquial language, it's "the sum of a list of numbers divided by the number of numbers in the list".

So don't just "feel", educate yourself. Use a TDEE calculator to estimate your real calorie need (MFP does this in setup). Log your intake, and hit your calorie goal. If you need to lose weight, you'll lose weight if you do this correctly.

And don't use "serving sizes" as your "food guide". "Serving size" just tells you how many calories there are in a certain amount of that food. You have to determine for yourself how much of each food is right for you.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a little taller at 5'1" and I agree with Lillymoo. For me, I am at 1200/day to lose a half pound a week. The MFP gets all upset if you eat less than 1000 in a day which I ignore as some days I go a couple hundred calories over and other days, I am a couple hundred calories under. When you are a shorty...the 1000 calorie minimum isn't such a big deal.

In so far as serving sizes....I do actually cut them down..can't have a whole chicken breast for example because then that uses up all the calories for the meal and I need some calories towards vegetables. I don't cut them in half...they are about a third less. I weigh them in grams for calculating the nutritional info.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'8'' and I'm on a 1200 and I'm losing from 1/2 lb to a lb a week.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    of course every ones body is different but in my opinion 1000 is way too low!
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    How much exercise do you do Missy? At 4'8 you would have to be doing some and not adding it to the tracker to be losing up to a pound a week eating 1200 calories. That or your metabolism is very fast.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'm 4'11 and currently in the 140s and I get 1200 per day.

Make sure to weigh/measure your foods that you eat.
  • LeoT0917
    LeoT0917 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Your daily calorie needs should be based on your current weight, your target weight and your workout schedule.
  • nanpfeffer
    nanpfeffer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/4 inch and I'm on 1200 calories a week. I burn off about 300-400 calories a day! I do not use the ones I burn off and I noticed that a lot of people are having the same problem of not using them. If we don't use them than we are eating way to little calories. True or false? I exercise 6 days a week. I've heard that we should use them. I'm confused about this! Anyone else?
  • Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Did you put your numbers in the system? I'm 5'4.5" and currently on 1400 to lose half a pound a week

Is this working for you? Im the same height at 131 pounds. I thought that was to high, so I went down to 1200 calories. Are you able to lose weight with 1400 calories?
  • jerb00
    jerb00 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am 4'10" and lost 6 ish lbs on 1200 per day with moderately heavy cardio most days in about 4 months. It was terrible though . I was calorie obsessed cuz I was really hungry. Looking back, at pics, I looked tired. I felt tired and was edgy. I am feeling much better now, maintaining around 98 lbs and eating 1400 calories. Still work out - cardio, lifting, and I have an active job. When I upped it to 1500 for a while I gained even doing everything I was doing. Unfortunately when you are short you can notice those extra oz/lbs. working to decrease body fat now...I'll never lest at 1200 again though. I know I wasn't getting all I need and I am pretty health and nutrition conscious.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 1/4 inch and I'm on 1200 calories a week. I burn off about 300-400 calories a day! I do not use the ones I burn off and I noticed that a lot of people are having the same problem of not using them. If we don't use them than we are eating way to little calories. True or false? I exercise 6 days a week. I've heard that we should use them. I'm confused about this! Anyone else?

I asked a similar question a little while ago when I happened to click on the home page and saw it displaying my Net figure which, after an hour and a half in the gym that day, was about 600. I'm also just over 5' and on 1200 calories a day (because that's the figure that MFP set for me). I go to the gym several times a week and go out walking on the days I don't go to the gym. Although I aim to eat my 1200 a day (plus 50-75% of my exercise calories), I use the app on my phone, every few days, to check what my Average Net is for the last week. My primary aim is to ensure that my Average Net is at or above 1200 but below my TDEE. However, you also have to balance that with the fact that MFP often overestimates the amount of calories you can eat back after exercise. If your NET calories are below 1200, long term you run the risk of serious health problems.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    While it is true that petite women may need less calories than taller women, it is not necessarily a given that shorter women have to go down to, or below, the recommended minimum calorie level of 1200 in order to lose weight.

I'm 5'2 and lost most of my weight (>30lbs) eating b/w 1600-1800 cals. I'm currently maintaining with a TDEE of 2100-2200 according to my FitBit and actual results.

OP - have you entered your stats and goals into MFP? What are your goals - how much are you trying to lose? While it is likely that you will get the standard minimum 1200 cal target based on your current stats, your activity level including general day to day activity but also exercise will ultimately influence if you can eat more and still lose. Log everything you eat accurately and honestly, ideally using a food scale. When you exercise, eat back a portion of those calories (50-75%). Be consistent and track results for 4-6 weeks, then adjust accordingly.

• BeaUtiful_1413
    BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm 4,11 and it gave me 1500 to lose 1lbs a week but I exercise 4-5days a week and I try to lose 1 1/2lbs a week so it gave me 1250 calories to eat but I still eat around 1350,1400 calories
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

2000 calories per day is just a very general "average" recommendation for women. There are a number of things that go into your actual calorie requirements besides your stats...general activity level and exercise activity level also have to be considered.

My wife is 5'2" and loses about 1 Lb per week at around 1800 calories...she is an avid runner and she lifts. She's also pretty generally active outside of the office as we have a 6 and 4 year old that we're chasing after constantly.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Why not put your information into MFP - the site you are currently on - to find out how much you should be eating?