1210 calories and always hungry!

Options
When I first started MFP, I was allotted 1500-1600 calories. I can't quite remember but I had no problem staying in it and staying full. As I've lost 25 pounds, MFP changed my calories to 1240 and now 1210. I've been struggling to stay within my 1210 budget. I am always hungry now and I feel frustrated because of it. I've cheated a lot lately and I feel guilty over it.

I don't eat that many veggies (I don't like them), so I can't load my meals up with them. I'm also not working out, I'm just trying to get a handle on my food first. Once it warms up (I live in Ontario, Canada - brr!), I'm going to start long walks.

Any tips? I feel like this isn't a lot of calories and I hate feeling so frustrated :(

My stats:

Female, 28
5'3"
Currently 235 pounds
Activity level is sedentary (I work as a cashier, 8 hours of standing but not much movement)

Replies

• whosaiditwaseasy
    whosaiditwaseasy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Is there any kind of exercise u can do at home? Resistance bands? Body weight? Both of these can be quite effective at getting your heart rate up, burning calories and increasing lean muscle. This will then give u a little more calories and also improve overall health.
  • catherineignews
    catherineignews Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When it comes to not liking veggies: can you fool yourself with smoothies? Baby spinach, with an orange, a banana and some ginger makes a great smoothie, full of fiber. Add a scoop of protein powder and you've got a sweet, tasty, low calorie high nutrition breakfast meal that will keep you super full. Yummy - I swear!

I am full - easily- on a 1200-1300 cal day that is sugar free, alcohol-free and nutrient packed. I don't have to try if I'm eating really healthy stufff... but I lose desperately (not weight!) with sweets and wine!! The empty calories kill my goals...

I found that doing a month on a Whole30 really helped me reframe the whole "liking veggies" thing and reprogrammed my taste buds to avoid sugars, empty carbs, refined foods, etc. Might be worth a try to help get your food more veggie based. (And maybe help with not feeling hungry all the time!) hang in there and keep fighting the good fight! You are so worth it!!!
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    malibu927 - I don't know if I feel comfortable with that. As it stands, I've got 100 pounds to lose. I feel like it would take forever if I lower it to 1.5 or 1 pound per week. Is that crazy?

leanjogreen18 - I've definitely been playing around with how to distribute my food. I've also cut out breakfast. I'm not hungry until around noon-1 and I tend to binge at night, so I save my calories for a good sized lunch and a large dinner. That way I'm full and don't feel the urge to binge. That's how I was successful in the beginning but I've sort of curved away from that out of laziness. I think it's something I need to start doing again.

catherineignews - I have tried smoothies. I found a really yummy protein shake with strawberries and protein powder that tastes like a strawberry milkshake. It definitely curves cravings and it's about 350 calories but I found that if I had it for lunch it didn't fill me. I wish it did because it's delicious. No greens in it though, lol. I LIKE green smoothies, my issue is they don't fill me and the ingredients can be expensive. Maybe it's something I need to pursue again. I used to make them with spinach and avocado.

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    As for veggies any chance you can doctor them a little to help?

I used to use ranch dressing (now bolthouse classic ranch dressing) and cheese to help my kids eat more. My son was vegan for 12 years as an adult (now pescatarian) so it worked:)

My salad also is never just a garden salad. I add corn, beans, cheese, avocado's, seeds, croutons and chicken boca (veggie "meat" you could use chicken) to help flavor the salads. Hummus for dipping carrots, cauliflower or broccoli.

Also maybe add veggies to your sandwich or taco's.

I don't mean to "push" veggies on you but the fiber does help as well in keeping you satisfied. I agree with adding something like spinach or other veggies to your smoothie that masks the veggies as well.

Also what are you binging on? Maybe those foods need to come out of the house for awhile and eat only when you go out to eat or in a single serving size?
  • Ejcejcejc
    Ejcejcejc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    100+ ounces of water a day. More lean protein.
  • hazzaram
    hazzaram Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As for veggies any chance you can doctor them a little to help?

I used to use ranch dressing (now bolthouse classic ranch dressing) and cheese to help my kids eat more. My son was vegan for 12 years as an adult (now pescatarian) so it worked:)

My salad also is never just a garden salad. I add corn, beans, cheese, avocado's, seeds, croutons and chicken boca (veggie "meat" you could use chicken) to help flavor the salads. Hummus for dipping carrots, cauliflower or broccoli.

Also maybe add veggies to your sandwich or taco's.

I don't mean to "push" veggies on you but the fiber does help as well in keeping you satisfied. I agree with adding something like spinach or other veggies to your smoothie that masks the veggies as well.

Also what are you binging on? Maybe those foods need to come out of the house for awhile and eat only when you go out to eat or in a single serving size?

I don't feel pushed. You're definitely right. My issue with veggies is texture and taste. I've posted here before and a few people mentioned I might be a supertaster. I only like veggies soft and mushy (which is why salads are out unfortunately) and I have to eat them disguised because I find them so bitter, whether roasted, steamed etc. I also don't like many sauces. I usually try to hide veggies in the sauces I do like or blend/grate them up and put them in things like meatloaf. It makes me sound like a kid but it's the only way I can consume them without gagging, lol.

Binging is sweets. Cookies, cupcakes, chocolate. I actually DON'T keep them in the house but when I'm grocery shopping I end up picking something up even if I have a list with me. I need to strengthen my will for sure.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I'll also suggest soups. I like pureed soups (which takes care of the texture issue) and you can do sweeter bases, like sweet potato, sauteed onion, and carrot. Some suggestions:
    http://www.superhealthykids.com/sweet-potato-apple-soup/
    http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/03/curried-cauliflower-soup-with-honey-recipe.html
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/baked-potato-soup/
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/14132/black-bean-and-salsa-soup/

Raising your calories a bit is also a great idea. You can kick it up with exercise when you're ready (I hear you on winter being the worst).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I agree with raising your calories and losing at a slower rate
    I know you'd like to lose faster but if it isn't sustainable for you to eat 1210 calories then you will not last long enough to lose 100 lbs. You are already going over your calorie goal often.
    Also 1200 is the minimum calorie goal. That can be hard to stick to without eating vegetables or exercising.
    Do what is manageable and sustainable long term.
  • monicaw44
    monicaw44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @hazzaram youre not four years old, you should be eating your vegetables. that being said putting vegetables in your diet will make you full without the sugars, fats, and carbs (some vegs have carbs but very low). its also healthy bc it gives your body nutrients that it needs.
    your goal weight loss should be a pound a week, not more than 1.5 pounds a week.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    hazzaram wrote: »
    When I first started MFP, I was allotted 1500-1600 calories. I can't quite remember but I had no problem staying in it and staying full. As I've lost 25 pounds, MFP changed my calories to 1240 and now 1210. I've been struggling to stay within my 1210 budget. I am always hungry now and I feel frustrated because of it. I've cheated a lot lately and I feel guilty over it.

I don't eat that many veggies (I don't like them), so I can't load my meals up with them. I'm also not working out, I'm just trying to get a handle on my food first. Once it warms up (I live in Ontario, Canada - brr!), I'm going to start long walks.

Any tips? I feel like this isn't a lot of calories and I hate feeling so frustrated :(

My stats:

Female, 28
    5'3"
    Currently 235 pounds
    Activity level is sedentary (I work as a cashier, 8 hours of standing but not much movement)

How long did it take you to lose the 25 pounds? I ask because if you're standing for 8 hours/day, you're not sedentary. Even if you're standing in one spot, standing burns more calories than sitting. I wouldn't go any higher than "lightly active" until you start getting those walks in, but I'm betting you lost weight faster than expected (based on actual intake - not goal intake) if you're going with the "sedentary" setting. That also explains why you're so hungry.