How can I avoid bingeing on weekends?

Options
I'm a dancer so during the week I'm busy dancing and find it easy to avoid unhealthy foods and stick to my food plan but on weekends when I'm less busy I find it really hard not to over eat and eat a bunch of fatty foods or desserts. Any ideas on how to stay in control?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    Plan and shop better.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,181 Member
    Options
    There are several dancers here also with the same goals. Try searching for them. I really do believe that they'd be the best help for you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Say no. Make the conscious decision to not eat that stuff. The more you do it, the easier it gets
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the hardest for me too!
    It comes down to how bad you really want it and if your goal is a priority.
    I go through my motions where no one or anything can influence me from falling off but I also have my moments where I have no self control. But I bring it back and think wait a minute! I'm passionate about health and about feeling good inside and out, so find what drives you to keep going!!! You can do it!!!! Just say No!
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You could just plan to eat more on the weekends. Many people eat a bit lower during the week and save the extra calories for a bit of a weekend splurge.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have several suggestions; whether any of them are useful, will depend on what the problem really is.
    • Have a better food plan. Make a food plan you can and want to stick to on the weekend too. Don't undereat. Make sure you are getting in proper nutrition. Eat more fat on the regular.
    • Don't buy food you don't want to eat.
    • Don't divide foods into healthy and unhealthy. Good nutrition is all about balance. Deeming food you like and want, and restricting too much, is an unhealthy mindset, which makes you likely to binge.
    • Keep busy on the weekends too.
    • Have some personal "food rules", for instance that you have dessert after dinner on Sundays and only on Sundays.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My family has a big meal every Sunday and my aspiring chef daughter always cooks up desserts and savories that are not exactly healthy but as a mum I am obliged to eat a serving. Like this weekend she made three things: marmalade spice tea cake, banana choc oatmeal cookies, and lamb pies. Yep, I ate all of them.

So I simply eat less during the week so by the time the weekend comes around....I am usually 600-800 calories below my goal. This allows me to go over on the weekend but stay within the goal for the week.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    You could just plan to eat more on the weekends. Many people eat a bit lower during the week and save the extra calories for a bit of a weekend splurge.

Yup. I eat 200 kcal under my goal during the work week and add 500 kcal per day on the weekend.

Also: there's nothing inherently wrong with fatty foods and desserts.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    If those fatty foods and desserts have other nutritional values and your average calories for the week is roughly in line with your Goal, I wouldn't worry. The alternative, as other have suggested, is to just not buy them. I used to have a packet of crisps, mid afternoon, because they were in the cupboard. It was habit. Soon after I joined MFP (in January of this year), I just didn't buy another multi-bag of crisps with my next shop, or the one after that or any week since. Once the ones in the cupboard were gone, that was it. I haven't missed them. I just make sure I have fruit and some nuts in the house in case I have a mid afternoon craving for 'something'.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Make sure you aren't restricting too much during the week