Protein after weightlifting.....

Options
What's a good number to shoot for? 10g? 20g?

Replies

• JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I consume a little more than 20g, I Increase my carb intake as well and keep my fat low lowwww. Fat digests slow and in consumption after a workout it will only slow the protein and carbohydrates to get to your muscles.

It really depends on how much protein your consuming for the day and if you are eating smaller meals. Once you have those numbers you can figure out how much protein to consume after your workout.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Research shows that protein after resistance training isn't nescessary and that a balanced meal 2-3 hours post work out is just as good if not more beneficial. So I wouldn't sweat it. Total daily protein and calories are much more important.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Hit your numbers over the day.

Exact nutrient timing has no benefit for most.

When it does become beneficial you'll be working at an elite level where everything will be dialled in anyway.

Tldr; don't sweat it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Hit your numbers over the day.

Exact nutrient timing has no benefit for most.

When it does become beneficial you'll be working at an elite level where everything will be dialled in anyway.

Tldr; don't sweat it.

This.

I mean, if you're that worried about it, just get a decent whey isolate, and throw down 20g of it after a lifting session. Assuming that it fits well into your kcals, it's quick, easy, cheap and doesn't require much thought.
  • maurihart
    maurihart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! I just couldn't eat right after working out yesterday so stopped and grabbed a protein bar at the store and it made me start thinking about it. I normally eat plenty of protein during the day but I had some room for a snack.