Is HIIT for everyone?

Options
I've tried HIIT on and off for years and didn't geT fat loss results as good as a general separated push, pull, leg, cardiovascular day. Am I doing it wrong? Is something wrong with me?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Nope, the marketing claims associated with the majority of HIIT classes etc are nonsense.

You'll note in the research that the margins of HIIT delivering superior recomposition are extremely small.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you ever see me running, be close behind, because *kitten* has gotten real. HIIT is useless unless you are actually able to perform it at a level that ends up providing as much burn as a longer duration, lower intensity exercise. Not many can do this. They just gas themselves out really fast, and shortchange their caloric burn.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    HIIT isn't magic , it's just a good way of cramming a lot of intensity into a short work out. You won;t get any better results with it that you would the same amount of work over a longer work out.

Additionally, most people who claim to do HITT are actually doing interval training. I'm, not saying that this is you but it certainly applies to some I've seen on my gym.
    0831227 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    What I found out with HIIT is while, for example, a 10 minutes running session with HIIT would burn LESS calories than a 10 minutes running session at random % inclines, HIIT training would help me get better with my regular running.

For example, if I can run 25-30 minutes without stopping at a speed of 9.5km/H and then 'plateau' without making progress, adding some HIIT training in my week will help me switch to a new running speed of 10km/H for 25-30mins.

So while, calorie-wise, it won't make me burn more, HIIT helps me get to the next level in my cardio training.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Not for me - it's just not an effective training method for my goals and fitness level.

I do quite a lot of interval training though but intervals tend to be from 3 to 12 minutes for a fairly long duration.
    I also do quite a bit of steady state at different intensities.
  • Niples_
    Niples_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you are on a deficit, trying to retain muscle while you lean out. Lift then 20-30 mins of cardio at 60-70% max heart rate. That's like 135 bpm for a 30 year old. Get your heart rate too high for too long and you go catabolic real quick.
  • alexrosader
    alexrosader Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys much appreciated! !!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »
    If you are on a deficit, trying to retain muscle while you lean out. Lift then 20-30 mins of cardio at 60-70% max heart rate. That's like 135 bpm for a 30 year old. Get your heart rate too high for too long and you go catabolic real quick.

Huh...??? that's nonsense
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Niples_ wrote: »

Nope.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It's gone out of fashion but I like a high rep total body workout. To avoid being @ the gym for a very long time I pair up two exercises upper / lower body. Of course, I don't hog the equipment and just alternate over to whatever is available.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Well I love my HIIT/interval class! It's not boring, keeps me engaged, keeps me fit and helps with day to day life (lifting, running up the stairs, etc), and helps support the other sports I enjoy: swim, bike and run! Plus I've met some great people while attending class!
  • bgh707
    bgh707 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've also found that HIIT workouts support a lot of my other functional workouts. For example, I started running again after a few years off and 1+ year of regular HIIT. My personal best, the fastest pace that I can hold a minute, has gone up about 2 mph without actually practicing running at all during that time.