Weight loss with birth control advice, 30lb gain.

Options
2»

Replies

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Pale_Green wrote: »
    I gained 40 in 6 months when I first went on Birth Control. For "some" women the pill is the devil. And anyone that tells you different is a Man or is just plain lucky to not have had the body chemistry to have that horrible effect. I went off, and over the years tried different ones..nuva ring was the only one that didn't cause my brain to stroke out (seriously went nuts on all pill form) and I didn't gain weight on it. BUT!!...I started to get unnerving sharp pains behind my knee caps...scared me so I stopped that too. Now I just am careful with the husband.

Careful does not prevent pregnancy. I'm assuming you and your husband are at a point in your lives where you are prepared for a surprise pregnancy. If so, a congratulations are in your future. If you are not wanting to become pregnant at this time you need to be on a reliable form of birth control. Talk to your doctor. If you feel hormonal birth control gives you problems there are options without hormones. Also, it is important to note that pregnancy is a huge contributor to weight gain, much more so than birth control.

There are other ways to prevent pregnancy that have just about as high of success as the pill. ;) I'm sure most realize this. So no it doesn't mean congratulations are in someone's future if they no longer can use birth control pills. My last child was born 9 years ago. And I gained more on birth control that I was on in 6 months than I did in two pregnancies.

Yes, there are. I have an IUD which is more effective because there is less chance of user error. I would like to know for my own education exactly what methods of "being careful" have a more than 99% rate of effectiveness for the average person like the pill does.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I gained 40 in 6 months when I first went on Birth Control. For "some" women the pill is the devil. And anyone that tells you different is a Man or is just plain lucky to not have had the body chemistry to have that horrible effect. I went off, and over the years tried different ones..nuva ring was the only one that didn't cause my brain to stroke out (seriously went nuts on all pill form) and I didn't gain weight on it. BUT!!...I started to get unnerving sharp pains behind my knee caps...scared me so I stopped that too. Now I just am careful with the husband.

Careful does not prevent pregnancy. I'm assuming you and your husband are at a point in your lives where you are prepared for a surprise pregnancy. If so, a congratulations are in your future. If you are not wanting to become pregnant at this time you need to be on a reliable form of birth control. Talk to your doctor. If you feel hormonal birth control gives you problems there are options without hormones. Also, it is important to note that pregnancy is a huge contributor to weight gain, much more so than birth control.

There are other ways to prevent pregnancy that have just about as high of success as the pill. ;) I'm sure most realize this. So no it doesn't mean congratulations are in someone's future if they no longer can use birth control pills. My last child was born 9 years ago. And I gained more on birth control that I was on in 6 months than I did in two pregnancies.

Yes, there are. I have an IUD which is more effective because there is less chance of user error. I would like to know for my own education exactly what methods of "being careful" have a more than 99% rate of effectiveness for the average person like the pill does.

Well, there's one obvious one I'm thinking of. They come in little square packets and various flavours.

(although they are pretty vulnerable to user error)
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Well, there's one obvious one I'm thinking of. They come in little square packets and various flavours.

Are they as high as 99%?
  • jennybearlv
    Options

According to Planned Parenthood:

If you use condoms perfectly every single time you have sex, they're 98% effective at preventing pregnancy. But people aren't perfect, so in real life condoms are about 82% effective — that means about 18 out of 100 people who use condoms as their only birth control method will get pregnant each year. - See more at: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/condom/how-effective-are-condoms#sthash.aknAb8OE.dpuf

When used perfectly, the pill is 99% effective. But when it comes to real life, the pill is about 91% effective because it can be hard to be perfect. So in reality, 9 out of 100 pill users get pregnant each year. - See more at: https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/birth-control/birth-control-pill/how-effective-is-the-birth-control-pill#sthash.e2n293Kq.dpuf

I was wrong about pill use for the average person though. I fortunately fell into the perfect user category when I took it, but it's still significantly more effective than just condoms:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Every time condom effectiveness is discussed anywhere I just have the scene from Friends with Ross getting mad at condom failure rates running through my head.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    xXbambieXx wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for the comments, just going to clear some things up here.
    I have had some medical issues, so I have been to hospitals multiple times over the past year and there have been no abnormalities in my tests for things like hormone levels in my blood, but I haven't been since coming off the pill.
    I was on birth control and continued to lose weight, but had many other side effects and switched to another, which immediately made the weight come on.
    I was on roughly a 1200-1400 calorie diet, which of course went up a bit during Christmas, since coming off the pill my weight gain has slowed, but I am still gaining. I am still eating the same way I was when I lost all of that weight in the first place, I immediately saw my weight loss results in the first week back then, now I just see slight gains that all add up.
    Thanks so much everyone for your advice.

I'm going to hone in on a couple of things in your post - "I was on roughly a 1200-1400 calorie diet" and "I am still eating the same way I was when I lost all that weight".

Weight loss is all about calories.
    • Start logging everything accurately and consistently, so you know exactly, not roughly.
    • Double check that you are using correct entries in the database - lots are user entered and flat out wrong.
    • Commit to using a food scale for all solid food for at least 2 to 3 weeks, even packaged or scanned food, fruits, etc. It would be awesome if you could do this for longer, but 2-3 weeks is long enough to start to correct any portion size issues that might be there.
    • Consider that you might need to be patient. You mentioned health issues, so possibly your Calories Out is different now than it was the first time you lost.

Hang in there and good luck :drinker:
  • doittoitgirl
    doittoitgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm in almost the exact same boat. I lost 40lbs in 2015. I gained ten back in the beginning of 2016 when I took a desk job that wasn't as active as my prior job. Then in Oct i started a new bc pill and immediately my hair started coming out, I was bloated, and i was starving constantly which caused me to eat more (and binge) which led me to gain nearly ten pounds a month. I gained the last 30 back. I stopped mine in January but it can take a couple months for everything to get back on its regular track. I did notice my appetite start to decline after a little over a month so now it's a little easier to resist the cravings. So now it's back to square one again. I've tried a few kinds of bc but they always make my hair fall out and they always keep me from losing weight so I think I'm about done trying to find one that jives with me.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »
    Progesterone pill can cause weight gain it says on leaflet
    Hormone medication can make it harder to lose weight
    Years ago I lost weight easily but after 40 on birth control its harder doing similar as I did years ago
    We are all different no one can possibly know how a medication can effect each individual

It doesn't directly cause weight gain; it causes an increase in appetite which leads to weight gain. You cannot create energy out of nothing.

I'm on a few medications that list weight gain as as side-effect. It didn't stop me from losing 100lbs. I do have to control my monsterous appetite by eating high volume though.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    The pill does not cause weight gain. Eating more calories does. The pill can cause strokes though, learned that the hard way. I now use a non hormonal IUD and am on blood thinners. I'm 30.

Still, was able to lose weight on the pill and am now losing weight on the blood thinners. #winning
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on the pill - because I ate too much.

I have also lost weight on the pill - because I ate in a calorie deficit.

I just switched to Depo (because migraine with aura + pill = BAD, apparently) and I plan on continuing to lose weight. If I gain, it'll be because I ate too much.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I gained weight on the pill - because I ate too much.

I have also lost weight on the pill - because I ate in a calorie deficit.

I just switched to Depo (because migraine with aura + pill = BAD, apparently) and I plan on continuing to lose weight. If I gain, it'll be because I ate too much.

Yeah. I gained while on Mircette (combination pill), lost probably more than I gained while still on Mircette, and it'll be a year next month since I had a Skyla IUD placed and I continue to lose. The only thing throwing me off now is that I have regular cycles with the cravings and water weight fluctuations, whereas on Mircette I had no cycle. Yep. Still losing.
  • Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Maybe its text coming through wrong, but you sound almost hostile. I hope its just text doing that its really not that big of a deal. Not everyone needs to use the same type of Birth control options and that's okay. But there are plenty of options and so that's a good thing ...each of them is the person taking steps to be careful to prevent pregnancy. For example condoms are a good option for some people. As adults people can make their choices and accept the consequences, but either way if engaging in sexual activity a person needs to realize that it could always result in a child. Soon the husband is going to be getting snipped which still has a very very small pregnancy rate to. I've personally known of two that years after getting snipped ...hello baby. But again as adults we know this. So there really is no need for debate.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have personal bias against the pill (based on experience rather than religious belief), so take what I say with a grain of salt.

For me, weight loss was possible but VERY, VERY slow. I went from not moving around at all to working out, and it took me like a whole year to lose 15 lbs. Not to mention, I looked completely different because the pill made me gain weight in weird places (my face was so fat, boobs were big, thighs and belly were out of control)

It was the appetite for me, and also I was depressed/angry (from the hormones) and eating to make myself feel better. I was a professional and personal wreck. I did it for a year and just couldn't continue. I instantly saw the scale begin to move, and my body began to look more normal as it kind of recompositioned itself. Face was thinner and boobs/thighs began getting smaller.

With you already being active, I don't know what your experience will be.
  • jennybearlv
    Options

Maybe its text coming through wrong, but you sound almost hostile. I hope its just text doing that its really not that big of a deal. Not everyone needs to use the same type of Birth control options and that's okay. But there are plenty of options and so that's a good thing ...each of them is the person taking steps to be careful to prevent pregnancy. For example condoms are a good option for some people. As adults people can make their choices and accept the consequences, but either way if engaging in sexual activity a person needs to realize that it could always result in a child. Soon the husband is going to be getting snipped which still has a very very small pregnancy rate to. I've personally known of two that years after getting snipped ...hello baby. But again as adults we know this. So there really is no need for debate.

Well, if we are talking about hostile, you are the one who referred to the pill as the devil. As an American I hear a lot of nonsense mostly mixed up with religious views or woo about how women shouldn't use the most reliable forms of birth control available. The message gets through to impressionable young people whose inexperience makes them less than ideal users of methods like pulling out or using condoms for preventing pregnancy.

I know the pill isn't ideal for everyone. I was prescribed one brand that made me so dizzy I couldn't walk. A simple call to my doctor and he got me on something different that had no side effects for me. Later I was put on a medication with the side effect of making the pill ineffective, so I got an IUD. I just want ladies reading this to know that modern birth control methods are effective and plentiful. If one causes an increase in appetite or any other unpleasant side effects, talk to your doctor, because it's 2017 and there are lots of options.
  • Pale_Green
    Pale_Green Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Well, if we are talking about hostile, you are the one who referred to the pill as the devil. As an American I hear a lot of nonsense mostly mixed up with religious views or woo about how women shouldn't use the most reliable forms of birth control available. The message gets through to impressionable young people whose inexperience makes them less than ideal users of methods like pulling out or using condoms for preventing pregnancy.

I know the pill isn't ideal for everyone. I was prescribed one brand that made me so dizzy I couldn't walk. A simple call to my doctor and he got me on something different that had no side effects for me. Later I was put on a medication with the side effect of making the pill ineffective, so I got an IUD. I just want ladies reading this to know that modern birth control methods are effective and plentiful. If one causes an increase in appetite or any other unpleasant side effects, talk to your doctor, because it's 2017 and there are lots of options.

Not sure why that personally offends you...for me it was a horrible experience and the devil! sigh