Question for long distance runners! (From a newbie)

Options
2»

Replies

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If I am training for distances over 10k it does a number on my appetite.

I haven't found a way around it other than to put any weight loss effort on hold until after the event is completed.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Seriously.

My personal experience: I'm currently a couple weeks into a mileage-building HM training plan, will be hitting 37 miles this week. Last week was 34 miles. I'm also still trying to lose weight. I have my net goal set to 1520 cals, for a .5lb/wk loss, and I definitely eat exercise cals back. If you look at the below graph, of my gross calories, you can see I'm eating quite a few calories on average (ignore that one super low day, it was my bday and I didn't even track, lol). Now, despite eating all these calories, I've still on average, tended to be netting below my 1520 goal, because I had recently upped my cals, and was trying to be conservative.

Well, in the last 3 weeks I lost a total of 6.4 lbs, obviously well above my .5lb/wk goal. And I'm not super obese, I am currently 3 lbs above the top end of my suggested healthy BMI range. You, by not eating most of your exercise cals back, are falling well below your net calorie goal, and are at a more severe deficit than I am. So please, do yourself a favor, and start eating more. You will feel better, your runs will feel amazing, and you'll probably still lose weight, as long as you continue to stay on top of your tracking.

gross calories:
    fu54wq72ntmn.jpg
    net calories:
    tcu8puck4vp5.jpg
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Tough love is hard but I appreciate you all be straight forward. I think I will try something different with my next long run on Saturday.

I always eat 2-3 eggs before hand, mini cliff bar during (and water), and then some sort of fruit after. Obviously that isn't working too great. (It did before when I was only running 6ish miles...so I assumed it would still work.)

I think I will try same meal before (eggs) because I get really sick if I eat too much before a run. I will buy some grapes for quick fueling along with my cliff bar during. Afterwards, I will try a smoothie for refueling directly after the run. I think I will focus my lunch/dinner meals around a nice carb/protein mix, like pasta. (I gave up pasta when I started MFP for weight loss.) I'll try to make it my goal to eat back at least 1/2 my exercise calories.

On Sunday, I think I will make it my goal to eat at 1600 calories (which MFP says is my maintenance amount). If I do any sort of exercise that day as well, I will eat back some of those calories.

For those who read this, thoughts?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    SaritaWolf wrote: »
    Thanks all. Tough love is hard but I appreciate you all be straight forward. I think I will try something different with my next long run on Saturday.

I always eat 2-3 eggs before hand, mini cliff bar during (and water), and then some sort of fruit after. Obviously that isn't working too great. (It did before when I was only running 6ish miles...so I assumed it would still work.)

I think I will try same meal before (eggs) because I get really sick if I eat too much before a run. I will buy some grapes for quick fueling along with my cliff bar during. Afterwards, I will try a smoothie for refueling directly after the run. I think I will focus my lunch/dinner meals around a nice carb/protein mix, like pasta. (I gave up pasta when I started MFP for weight loss.) I'll try to make it my goal to eat back at least 1/2 my exercise calories.

On Sunday, I think I will make it my goal to eat at 1600 calories (which MFP says is my maintenance amount). If I do any sort of exercise that day as well, I will eat back some of those calories.

I think this is smart to up your cals a bit. I also can't eat a big meal before a long run, but I think increasing your calorie intake in general will be of benefit to you. Also, I forgot to mention in my first post, but in regards to being properly hydrated, that doesn't just occur the day of the long run. I always make an extra concerted effort to be drinking tons of water the day, or two days before my long runs. It takes a little time to get yourself properly hydrated, and you can't accomplish it by just drinking a huge glass of water the morning of your run. If you are really properly hydrated before you start your run I think you'll be surprised by how little you actually need to hydrate during your run. I did an 11-miler on Sunday and only had water in my car for after I was finished. Now obviously, this advice changes if you're running in the heat. During the summer I can easily lose 5-6lbs of water weight on just one long run, so would always take my hydration belt.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    Protein before your run doesn't give you the carbs you need to fuel it. Add some juice or a banana or perhaps a slice of toast. I usually have cereal or oatmeal an hour or two before my long run, and then juice or a banana just before I head out.
  • Shan_Claire_za
    Shan_Claire_za Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've also recently started long distance and did find this to be an issue. Add rehydrate to your water and keep an energy bar on you to snack on a long the way while running (I've learnt this from the other runners I know) afterwards they seem to have something a bit higher in sugar like a milkshake.

Personally I eat a lot already - about 5 or 6 times a day, spreading out my calories. Just try eating every 2/3 hours of controlled portions and try up your carbs but with good carbs. Hope this helps
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Interestingly I had a bowl of choco rice straight before my 9 mile run first thing at the weekend, had woken with a bit of a hangover, and barely wanted any of the dried mango during my run. I had one of the best runs ever (although I did reach for the wine at about 3pm......)

Previously I had eaten a decent toast/protein lunch a couple of hours beforehand, and run in the afternoon. I became sluggish after about 5 miles and really had to push to finish.

Either my endurance is getting much better, or I’ve found a better fuelling/timing plan. Play with what might work for you.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pre-run/race for me - is normally oatmeal - but think ahead to what might be available race morning if you are traveling for a race (is the hotel going to have a comp breakfast etc)...because you want to train with how you are going to race
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    If I have time beforehand (~40+ minutes to digest something), I'll have a meal (or at least a Clif bar and peanut butter or yogurt). If I don't have time and it is right before my run, I'll cram down a few packets of fruit snacks (similar nutrition profile to chewy-type race fuels minus the added sodium and potassium)(easy to digest during cardio for those of us that can't handle something more substantial right before or during a run)(and I carry 1-2 packets with me for later on the run or immediately after)..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    SaritaWolf wrote: »

If your long run is on Sundays then that's too late to eat more that day.

Reduce your deficit overall, and eat back exercise excuse cals.

Look at your carbs the day before long run.

I find I need a good mixture of all 3 macros post run, so cheesy pasta is good to stop the runger.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of porridge made with almond milk two hours before a race or long run. Sometimes it means setting the alarm early but it works for me. I couldn't stomach eggs before a run but obviously try different things to see what works for you.
  • SaritaWolf
    SaritaWolf Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am definitely going to rethink how I am doing things. My health and fitness is more important to me than my body weight.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Please do have a go at switching the eggs for some carbs like a jam sandwich pre-run. The fat and protein of the eggs are not your bodies preferred fuel for running, you might feel a lot more energy if you have some relatively quick release carbs and continue to use your during-run nutrition too.

If you're worried about gastro-intestinal issues mid-run then for races or long runs just avoid having too much Fibre in the lead up. E.g. For 24hrs prior to a longer distance event I will swap my brown bread / pasta for white and swap whole fruit for juice or indeed reduce fruit & veg consumption altogether. Just to play it safe you know. I am not a Bear and therefore have no desire to have to 'you know what' in the woods!