Now retired....totally off the charts

Options
Hi Friends,
So my back story is basically that I retired from 20 years of active duty service and suffer from all kinds of physical issues, arthritis, low back pain, joint stiffness, chronic headaches....these ailments make it very difficult for me to get motivated to exercise especially since a recent left knee surgery that will not allow my to jog or run. As soon as I retire I totally quit on myself and gained a ton of weight. I currently work full time as an Uber driver so I am always sitting and eat on the run. My wife and I have custom tailored me a special diet that I am trying to get started on. I recently hit my highest weight ever of 306 pounds which really got me down. My motivator is my kids....I want to me around to be a great grandpa one day and my habits now will not permit that. SO, I decided that instead of being impatient wanting all the weight to come off at once (which I know is impossible) I had to make this a lifestyle change, not just a for-now change. I expect to make many changes over the next year. Fingers crossed.

Replies

• mme1127
    mme1127 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You're taking a great step in the right direction. Make little goals and celebrate each one. It could be slow going at times, but don't give up. Have you considered water aerobics that incorporate weights? Very easy on the joints and for people in chronic pain. My local YMCA has several classes. You should see what is available in your area. Good luck to you!