Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3756673/

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Food diary done by recall.
    20 week study period.

Personally, I like breakfast and eat it all the time. I did that while gaining weight, too, though.
  • STC02
    STC02 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not for me.
    I usually have breakfast around 8.30am and on Tues and Wed have dinner after 10pm. I haven't noticed a difference and have been pretty consistent with my weight loss so far.
  • Michaelxo444
    Michaelxo444 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Not for me I can eat when ever with in my calories and drop weight
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Cos of the job i work i fit my meals in as followrd
    Breakfast 815ish
    Lunch 11am
    Snack(maybe)3pm
    Dinner 530 -6pm.
    Snack if want one.

I try to do this even on my day off
    Ive lost 15lb in 60days.

Doing the above makes sure im not hungry and temped by snacking
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Over the past 5ish years I've done all sorts of meal timing/frequency schedules. I've consistently hit my weight management goals though, because I've continued to nail my calorie intake targets.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    The only timing I respect is no more food 2 hours before bed (acid reflux is a *kitten*).

Other than that... when I eat depends on my work schedule and it hasn't been a detriment to my weight loss.
  • csy108
    csy108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They had the subjects self-report calorie intake and create their calorie estimates by recall? Hahaha!

Anyway, meal timing hasn't made any difference in my weight loss over the past 11 weeks. I actually started losing weight more linearly and feeling better since I pushed more and more calories toward the end of the day.
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Being since we are all so different, there is no good answer.

I currently am eating when hungry. So lunch is my first meal of the day, usually have an apple/babybel as a snack then dinner. All within my plan.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    csy108 wrote: »
    They had the subjects self-report calorie intake and create their calorie estimates by recall? Hahaha!

Anyway, meal timing hasn't made any difference in my weight loss over the past 11 weeks. I actually started losing weight more linearly and feeling better since I pushed more and more calories toward the end of the day.

But.....420 subjects you can't dismiss the data. Still something to test against in more studies. Maybe in a more controlled environment.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Timing is irrelevant - in Europe, people regularly eat their final meal after 9pm, and not every European is overweight. If timing were really important, every shift worker would be overweight. Its not what you eat or when you eat it, its HOW MUCH you eat.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Timing is irrelevant - in Europe, people regularly eat their final meal after 9pm, and not every European is overweight. If timing were really important, every shift worker would be overweight. Its not what you eat or when you eat it, its HOW MUCH you eat.

Have you seen the majority of studies on shift workers? Most are pretty grim.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    When I used to work 3rd shift I had a tendency to gain. I ate during the night and also didn't get enough sleep which made me hungry more often so I often overate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I bet messed up sleep cycles/resulting inadequate sleep and greater hunger is a huge part of the reason for shift workers.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

Have you seen the majority of studies on shift workers? Most are pretty grim.

I have spent the past almost 40 years working with shift workers in a variety of occupations. Timing is irrelevant.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    csy108 wrote: »

But.....420 subjects you can't dismiss the data. Still something to test against in more studies. Maybe in a more controlled environment.

Well, of course this is of interest to you, because you're all about habit and look for solutions that don't necessarily involve overt calorie counting.

If someone is controlling calories, meal timing is irrelevant.

I'm with lemurcat12 on this:
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I bet messed up sleep cycles/resulting inadequate sleep and greater hunger is a huge part of the reason for shift workers.

I know I'm hungrier on days after I've have a bad night's sleep.

I'll stick with my not eating until rather late in the day, clustering meals together, and controlling calories. It works for me and for controlling my appetite. I am simply not hungry early in the day.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Time of day you eat doesn't normally matter. Some health issues mean it's not a good idea to eat right before bed or you have to eat to take meds, and a lot of T2 diabetics eat at specific times to help regulate blood sugar. But it doesn't have an impact on weight loss.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I completely agree!