Why do people put on muscle after lightweight/high reps?

Options
So all my life I've been told (and eventually told myself)that I can't leave the gym without hitting some low reps and heavy AF weights, I COULDN'T LEAVE THE GYM WITHOUT doing this, I know it's an ego thing. However once spring comes across I start dieting and lift lightweights in the 15-25 rep range and noticed myself getting leaner or "bigger" in comparison to my bulkier or "softer" look. Am I like hallucinating or something? Probably I am lolol

Replies

• Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Search for a post I put up this week by Brad Schoenfeld on building muscle using 40% 1RM.
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Some muscles respond well to that rep range like legs... they are used all day and have a higher resilience to weight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Some muscles respond well to that rep range like legs... they are used all day and have a higher resilience to weight.

it depends on the ratio of type 1 and type 2 fibers.

it's still my understanding though that 6-12 reps with 3-5 sets is the proper amount of volume to stimulate hypertrophy.
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    Hmmm....sorry but i tend to disagree here
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    But you do want to be doing 40 reps
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    based on what information?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    how light are we talking here? and how many reps?
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    One last point then im out... so if your a women and used to walking in heels all day. You think low reps are going to build your calfs??? Thats my 2cents.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    One last point then im out... so if your a women and used to walking in heels all day. You think low reps are going to build your calfs??? Thats my 2cents.

Dancers. Gymnasts. Major calves. Didn't lift a weight until two years ago.
  • blackcomaro
    Options
    Not here to argue just point out some interesting facts.
    Last point "exactly".... with the dancers etc..high reperitions! Look at an over weight persons calves... massive.
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Not here to argue just point out some interesting facts.
    Last point "exactly".... with the dancers etc..high reperitions! Look at an over weight persons calves... massive.

Keeps saying not here to argue and comes back to argue...

More than likely those massive calves are from fat, because obese...

it's interesting you mention that, because once you get fat enough you start to gain fat in strange places where we generally hold less fat. like hands, feet, calves, forehead/back of neck, etc.
  • logiatype
    logiatype Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Muscle's respond to stress. Do you really believe your muscle's can determine the difference between high weight/low rep and low weight/high rep assuming you can stress them equally?

You should switch up between volume and intensity for other reasons but I prefer high, controlled reps because I can max out time under tension.