Running invite from a guy I'm dating

Options
DaigaDaiga
DaigaDaiga Posts: 8 Member
I've been dating this guy for a few weeks. He invited me to join a 10k run with him and his friends.

I'm an active girl (at least in theory) but running isn't something I'm good at. I run so slow, and still I get out of breath after a few hundred meters. The most I can run is a km or two if I push myself really, really hard. So it's going to be really, really embarrassing for me to try to do 10k. I know that it's impossible for me to run it all. My stamina is much too low. I'll look so embarrassingly out of shape. I don't want that embarrassment, but I already agreed.
He said I could walk some of it if I couln't run it all. But I know that I'll have to walk most of it. I'm terrified of looking stupid and embarrassed in front of him and his friends who I would be meeting for the first time.

Replies

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. It's ok to say no. Offer to go out with him afterwards or something.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Or start training
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from 100%. When I was trying to become a "runner" I resisted finding a running buddy so hard for this same reason. I knew I would feel like I was just slowing them down and being a nuisance.

Maybe explain to the guy you're dating the situation, running isn't your forte, and you know you'll have to walk a lot of the time. Just let him know that his friends and him are welcome to run ahead and your feelings won't be hurt a bit. Maybe just add jokingly at the end "as long as you're waiting at the finish line for me *wink*" or something equally as cheesy :p

Good luck!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think its weird that someone asked you to run in a 10K with no training in just under 3 weeks.

eta but you agreed already, so start training as much as you can. If you run half of it and walk the other half it won't be that bad (or walk more and run less).. Get you some good running shoes to train in.
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    If it gets creepy just run faster than him
  • Carbkiller1970
    Carbkiller1970 Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Maybe sweaty and messy turns him on that's why he suggested the run?
  • mrarmaan
    mrarmaan Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just do it and dont quit or fall back and its ok if u wont run 10 k at least u tried so must go