I strained my back

Options
This weekend I strained my back pretty bad on Sunday. It is very painful, hard to sleep or stand or sit or lie down. I hate this! So, I of course am taking it easy this week. Saw my chiropractor yesterday and that helped a lot, will also be seeing him tomorrow. But, a few weeks ago i rallied some friends into joining this free bootcamp with me this coming Saturday morning. They're excited, the coach (a friend of mine) is excited and I was also. But now I am worried I wont be able to workout with them. I hate disappointing everyone including myself. Do you think I'll be able to do some of the workouts? Or, do I risk injuring myself further? I have no idea how long this will last. I can tell you that I feel a bit better than I did on Sunday but, it is still very painful.

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no workouts until it has healed....you don't want to do more damage. I injured my achilles tendon and was stopped from exercising for 2 weeks...it absolutely killed me, but once I started exercising again....the weight really dropped off me.

Please rest and relax until it is better! :flowerforyou:

Yay...my 300th post! ....:flowerforyou:
  • Becka77
    Becka77 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've strained my back several times and I would NOT recommend doing a bootcamp until it's completely healed. If it's anything like the bootcamp I attended it will make it worse. I wouldn't do anything that required core work until the back is healed because you risk the muscles being pulled in the wrong direction and causing permanent damage.

Also, do NOT get any massages until your back has healed. I was out of town when I pulled my back out last time and a friend recommended massage until I got home. That was the most excruciating pain ever. The pain moved from my back into my entire body. I couldn't move a muscle for days afterwards.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    So the big question is "how long until it's healed"? Depends on the strain. Once the pain it gone, I would wait another week. Then work on core exercises. Limit major stretching for a couple of weeks since it may cause further straining of the muscle. If you see a massage therapist make sure it's someone you trust. There are too many bad ones out there, but do try and get one. When the muscle heals it can knot up making it prone to injury again. Backs are easy to re-strain if not taken care of properly. I would skip the bootcamp this time around! Heal quickly!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say...my back bothers me now and then, to the point that I can't stand up totally straight because my muscles are in spasm and it really hurts (like you, nothing is comfortable). I know part of the problem when my back hurts is that I sit for too long, thus taking longer to get better.

The last time my back hurt I decided to go ahead with my tennis class anyway, since my back in the reason I quit mid summer last year. I took it easy and didn't push myself, but my back felt sooooo much better after tennis. I am no doctor, and everyone and every back pain is different, but that's my experience. Maybe get to a doctor and see what they say.
  • Dive_Girl
    Dive_Girl Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was afraid of that....but I know you guys are right. Thank you for the sound advice, I will do my best to take it easy.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    This weekend I strained my back pretty bad on Sunday. It is very painful, hard to sleep or stand or sit or lie down. I hate this! So, I of course am taking it easy this week. Saw my chiropractor yesterday and that helped a lot, will also be seeing him tomorrow. But, a few weeks ago i rallied some friends into joining this free bootcamp with me this coming Saturday morning. They're excited, the coach (a friend of mine) is excited and I was also. But now I am worried I wont be able to workout with them. I hate disappointing everyone including myself. Do you think I'll be able to do some of the workouts? Or, do I risk injuring myself further? I have no idea how long this will last. I can tell you that I feel a bit better than I did on Sunday but, it is still very painful.

Please don't hurt your back any further. I know you are loathe to let anybody down, however, if you try to workout through this, you could do some real serious damage to your back and you would then be letting yourself down and it could put you out of action for months.

Do exactly as your doctor and chiropractor instructs you, if they say use icepacks, do it religiously. If they give you anti-inflamatory drugs, ensure you take them. Do everything in your power to give yourself the best change and hopefully, everything will be back in good working order as quickly as possible.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no workouts until it has healed....you don't want to do more damage. I injured my achilles tendon and was stopped from exercising for 2 weeks...it absolutely killed me, but once I started exercising again....the weight really dropped off me.

Please rest and relax until it is better! :flowerforyou:

Yay...my 300th post! ....:flowerforyou:

:huh: no it's not it's your 302nd :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (It's okay I am being deliberately annoying :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: )