Apple Watch for Running

Options
Is the first generation Apple Watch a good one to use with running? I am signing up for my second half marathon, and I would like to use an accurate watch with regard to mileage. I have my phone with me when I run, so I believe that provides more accuracy to my watch, but I am just curious to see what long distance runners use.

Replies

• Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm just an amateur runner, but I really like the Apple Watch.... but you need to have your phone with you.

I don't mind, I bought a belt to carry the phone. It works for me because I listen to music or podcasts with my phone while running. I don't even notice the phone. Sometimes I even have Pokemon Go going... lol.

I use MapMyRun while running and the watch display shows.

Time
    Dist
    Average Pace
    Heartrate

Plus it has all the other functions/apps as well.
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Agree with Scotty. I am a regular runner and the Apple Watch is ideal. I have a Series 2 but my running buddy has a First Gen and it operates exactly the same.

The main benefit of using the watch is that you can hide your phone away and control everything using your watch, like music and Strava (or equivalent app).

Good luck with your training :-D
  • jessicalferrara
    jessicalferrara Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! I'll have to download an app for it. I have been using the exercising app on the watch.