I quit caffeine Cold Turkey on Ash Wednesday.

Options
I had a major caffeine addiction - I was consuming as many as 12 12 ounce cans or 2 2 liters of caffeinated diet soda every day (mostly diet Mt. Dew, some diet colas or diet Dr. Pepper). AND drinking 2 to 4 16 ounce sugar-free energy drinks a day (mostly Monster, some Rock Star). AND, some days a 200 mg caffeine tablet (or two). AND, lately, I've also been taking energy shots, 1 or 2, many evenings to keep going and get through what I need to get through.

So, I quit Cold Turkey on Ash Wednesday - I had one final Monster at 5 am,

It went much better than I expected. I had a headache until yesterday, but it was easily controlled with OTC medicine. Instead of all of that nasty stuff, I've been drinking ... water! Amazing.

I feel a lot better actually, sleeping a little more soundly, and actually seem to have more energy. I was probably pushing myself to the point of adrenal fatigue by taking too much of a stimulant.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    /pops 200mg caffeine pill, chased with Monster Ultra.

My cold, dead, fingers I say!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Holy caffeine, Batman! Did you ever sleep?!

I found that OTC meds don't touch my caffeine headaches-you should consider yourself blessed!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love caffeine <3
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I tried cutting cold turkey and had way less daily intake...had headaches and terrible sleep for almost 2 weeks. Week 3 the headaches went away, but I was so sluggish and my commute is long and I was having trouble staying awake for the drive, so I am back, but I at most have 1 nuun energy or a cup of green tea a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cool! Glad it didn't go too badly. I've done the same thing before, and had a similar experience. (Not this year, though, I say, while happily sipping my coffee!)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    That was a LOT of caffeine. Wow! I'm shocked you didn't have worse withdrawal symptoms.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    (this is from what the experts say about caffeine)if you have the same dose every day at the same time the only thing you are doing is avoiding a dip in energy , not really adding more energy. The only time you will feel the caffeine is if you have a dose at a time when you normally don't have it. The reason you get a headache is withdrawal which we know , but they say that its the body sending body reactions to break down the caffeine that is not there that does it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't know. Since Lent is a temporary event, is your avoidance of caffeine likewise temporary?
  • knox50us
    knox50us Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Never been addicted to caffeine but know plenty who are. Good for you.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why anyone would even attempt to go from that much caffeine to nothing. Why not taper down a bit? I guess it worked for you, would never work for me. I get horrible withdrawal symptoms and as another poster said, OTC drugs don't touch it at all.
  • RandiNoelle
    RandiNoelle Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I'm useless without my morning joe(s) - 4-12 oz cups of pure black goodness, to be exact!

The one time I did skip (fasting for a blood test), I was so cranky by the time I got to my office, my coworkers were ready to set up a caffeine drip to get my back to my old self.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Good for you. I'm surprised your heart didn't blow up with that intake.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Good for you. I'm surprised your heart didn't blow up with that intake.

What I was thinking.

I had a 5 Hour Energy drink one time & thought I was having a heart attack. After that I have never drank another energy drink.