I don't like Vegetables!

Options
I'm trying to come up with new and exciting things to eat, but I don't like Vegetables. I want to like them, I do, but I'm one of those people who can tell if there's a small bit of onion in her burger. The only vegetables I'll currently eat are green peas, green beans, salad but only with dressing. Any tips on liking more vegetables? Have any of you been here before?

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just eat what you like.
  • chelsea94renee
    chelsea94renee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's both taste & texture. I don't mind tomato sauce, but I don't like tomatoes in any form, whole, diced, sliced, cooked, nada!!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Try adding more pureed vegetables to the tomato sauce? Steamed/boiled/roasted red pepper might work. Or carrot.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Sneak them into smoothies is my best advice... also the more you eat them the more you will like them... half the battle is keeping an open mind, if you vehemently believe and say you hate them you are actively convincing yourself of that.

If you really want to start eating vegetables to get the great nutrients and low calorie benefits you will, if it's not important enough to you, you won't. The only person who can make that happen is you!

I recommend RAW bell peppers, carrots, and cucumbers because they are all sweet and less "vegetable-y" tasting. Also if you like ranch dressing you can make it with Greek yogurt and a powdered ranch packet so it's guilt free and high protein!
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree on the roasted veggies! I would NEVER have eaten brussels sprouts boiled (as served when I was a kid) but roasted with some garlic salt? I eat them straight off the pan like candy!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    So don't eat them. Just eat in a deficit if you want to lose weight?

This is true, purely for weight loss the only thing that matters is eating fewer calories than your body expends. However, vegetables have a lot of important micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) that contribute to good health and, more pertinent to weight loss in particular, they tend to be high in fibre and are a great way to get bulk into your meals without adding a lot of calories (I eat a salad in a bowl the size of my torso pretty much every day for less than 500 calories.)

OP, have you tried preparing vegetables in a bunch of different styles? If you normally steam them, roast them. If you normally try them raw, steam them. Add low-calorie flavouring like soy sauce, sriracha, balsamic vinegar, fresh or dried herbs, garlic, or lemon. My husband will eat just about anything if I roast it and top with salt, pepper, garlic, lemon, a few flakes of Parmesan or Asiago, and a tiny drizzle of good white truffle oil, for example, or we both love to toss steamed vegetables in a little sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and chili. We go very light on the oil and cheese but pick strong flavours that still add a lot of punch in small quantities. I also make a kind of mock tabbouleh with cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, or whatever else I have in the fridge chopped small with lots of fresh mint, cilantro, lemon, and a little feta and a scoop of quinoa. Can you tell we like lemon?

My favourite way to dress a salad (usually of leaf lettuce, cucumber, tomato, bell pepper, broccoli, carrot, celery, and chicken or tuna) is with the juice of a whole lemon and a 1/2 tbsp of olive oil and salt. If you like creamy dressings or a lot of dressing, you can either cut back on the dressing or cut it with something lower-calorie (like plain yogurt or mustard or red wine vinegar if it's a vinaigrette). If you toss the salad really well (I use a lid and shake like crazy) you can use a small amount of the calorie dense stuff and still get tons of taste. Pickled stuff is great for this too and I will toss pickled jalapenos or diced dill pickles in lots of salads to get some more flavour in.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I also dislike almost all vegetables. I make myself eat a side of them a few times a week, and just eat them quickly before eating the rest of the meal. Otherwise I just eat the things I like within my calorie goal, and take a multivitamin every day.

(Sorry I don't have any tips, but you're not alone!)
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As others have said. Try different cooking methods. Seasonings. Etc. I'll eat anything, but I don't like celery. The stuff is awful. If I have to, I'll eat it, but I try not to. So everyone has things they may or may not like.

I know some may say well just don't eat them, but you'll be missing quite a few nutrients and fiber from your diet that you need.

Baby steps could be cover them in cheese, or cook using bacon, or puree them and add to potatoes, etc etc
  • missmagnoliablossom
    missmagnoliablossom Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's both taste & texture. I don't mind tomato sauce, but I don't like tomatoes in any form, whole, diced, sliced, cooked, nada!!

Keep trying to slowly work them in. Five years ago, I would have been grossed out at the sight of a cooked tomato. Now I can eat small pieces. I can even eat spinach in some forms, haha!
  • hilhilbean
    hilhilbean Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. Not a fan at all. I can get a juice down, though (I learned through just juicing that I really really really do NOT like carrots). I use a food chopper and finely chop up spinach or kale to put in other foods and smoothies, though. I've gradually increased how much I put in. Major, MAJOR baby steps.

P.S. I'm super impressed you like peas. I only like green beans (but only if they have a seasoning on them that's only made in Illinois) and corn. Aaaand that's it.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions! I would also try them in soups - lots of different recipes to try and odds are good you will like a few of them.

My husband is picky about vegetables and I have found pureeing them in soups and sauces works sometimes. But mostly I just fix him the ones he will eat and make all the ones I like for me.