How to log a can of soup when nutritional panel includes added ingredients

Options
BeChill73
BeChill73 Posts: 75 Member
edited March 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Hi guys, trying to log a can of condensed soup, but I'm adding it directly to a recipe without adding the extra milk, yet the nutritional panel says the can contains 3.4 serves "as prepared" and includes the extra milk in the nutritional panel.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    You could find the nutritional value for the recommended amount of milk and use a negative entry to counterbalance it.

For example, if the can of soup 'as prepared' is 300 calories and the amount of milk that would be used is 100 calories, log the can of soup as prepared and do a 'quick add' entry of '-100 calories' to balance this out.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Is it one can of milk? 12ozs?
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    How much added milk? Figure out the calories in the X ml of milk they assume you will add, then subtract it from the total calories. Does the label not have the info for the soup as is?
  • BeChill73
    Options
    It doesnt have "soup only" data unfortunately.

The can says to add 1/2 can if whole milk... the can is 420g.
  • Vune
    edited March 2017
    Options
    30 seconds of Google told me that 210ml of whole milk is around 130 calories, so subtract that from the total to get your soup calories.
  • BeChill73
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    30 seconds of Google told me that 210ml of whole milk is around 130 calories, so subtract that from the total to get your soup calories.

Thanks! I wish I could "30 seconds of google" but my teen ate all our internet allowance so we are at dialup speed and it takes 5 minutes just to open the search page.

• BeChill73
    Options
    You could find the nutritional value for the recommended amount of milk and use a negative entry to counterbalance it.

For example, if the can of soup 'as prepared' is 300 calories and the amount of milk that would be used is 100 calories, log the can of soup as prepared and do a 'quick add' entry of '-100 calories' to balance this out.

Ivhad no idea you could add a negative! Thanks!
  • Vune
    Options
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    Vune wrote: »

Thanks! I wish I could "30 seconds of google" but my teen ate all our internet allowance so we are at dialup speed and it takes 5 minutes just to open the search page.

Yikes! We're like that at the end of the month, so I'm glad I had 30 seconds to help!
    BeChill73 wrote: »

Ivhad no idea you could add a negative! Thanks!

I didn't either. Double thanks!
  • BeChill73
    Options
    Thank to all who helped. Have multiplied the "per serve" numbers by 3.4 (which is how many serves in the can) then deducted the calories, fat and protein from 210ml of milk.

Yay! :)