BCAA's - What's the point?

I'm receiving a free bottle of BCAA's in my next protein powder order, but am unsure if i should bother taking them or not.

The only exercise i do is walking, no weight lifting. I think i have read that bcaa's tend to make people retain water, I'm already a "water hoarder", i don't need to add more to the mix.

My question is, will they provide any benefits? I don't want to take pills just for the sake of it.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    If your protein intake is adequate, there is no point whatsoever to taking BCAAs.

For further: https://examine.com/supplements/branched-chain-amino-acids/
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Thanks @AnvilHead . Once again, your link answered all of my questions :+1:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    No point, other than Kool-Aide flavored powder that is useless without the other aminos backing it.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    It's about the same point as AAA, but you need to live in BC to be part of it. I'm not a member as I have new vehicles and haven't needed a tow in decades.

Oh, not what you were asking?

:)
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    I tried BCAA's and didn't notice any difference. Creatine along with weight lifting has worked well for me and coffee seems to add a nice boost to my cardio activities, but that's it. Nothing else I've tried has ever made one bit of difference.
  • Christine_72
    It's about the same point as AAA, but you need to live in BC to be part of it. I'm not a member as I have new vehicles and haven't needed a tow in decades.

Oh, not what you were asking?

:)

Haha I was a member for years and never used them, they're called RAA here. A couple months after not renewing, my car broke down (10 minutes from home) in 40 c heat on Christmas day on the way to my families house who live 90 minutes away! That was one expensive taxi ride :sad:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm receiving a free bottle of BCAA's in my next protein powder order, but am unsure if i should bother taking them or not.

The only exercise i do is walking, no weight lifting. I think i have read that bcaa's tend to make people retain water, I'm already a "water hoarder", i don't need to add more to the mix.

My question is, will they provide any benefits? I don't want to take pills just for the sake of it.

I think you're thinking of creatine.
  • Christine_72
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think you're thinking of creatine.

oops yep, yep you're right. So many supplements out there, it's hard to keep track!

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with BCAAs as a supplement taken before or during endurance activities. There seems to be some possible benefits, such as support for fat oxidation and a corresponding reduction in glucose utilization, but I haven't done as much reading on this as I should. (The link provided referenced some minor impacts) Any endurance junkies have an opinion to share on BCAAs?
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Not much experience here (just started using a protein powder with them included). I thought some of the benefit was less soreness after?
  • rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Not much experience here (just started using a protein powder with them included). I thought some of the benefit was less soreness after?

I heard that too. Not true?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I just starting taking them regularly (two weeks in) to personally test and see if I noticed any difference. My trainer kept pushing me to use them, especially during competitions, so I bought a tub.

From a powerlifter perspective - I actually have worse DOMS this week than I have had in a long time. My workouts are between 75-120 minutes four times a week. I feel like I've powered through the workouts better. Maybe I have more DOMS because I'm hitting the workouts harder?

I'm usually really tired in the gym by Friday, so I want to see how I feel this Friday. If I'm not dragging my tail into the gym, the assisting-in-recovery part may be true. Here's hoping!

• cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Endurance athlete and I take BCAAs after each workout (run, spin or weights). I like them and I find that I do have better recovery since taking them. might be all in my head though.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    They're free and highly unlikely to have any negative effects so I'd take them if I were you.
  • bonoeuf
    bonoeuf Posts: 58 Member
    I use BCAA as a recovery drink after cycling over an hour long. Helps with reducing muscle fatigue and has me ready for another ride quicker than I was without them.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member

Good question, l was curious about this too