KETO / LCHF RASH - How to get rid of it?

Options
13»

Replies

• taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The power of carbs is strong!!!
    anacrisg wrote: »
    ... he started farting again

Yes, yes it is...

... I was gonna ask about nitrates (some Keto folks push-up their intake of cured meats), but if you've got it under control, it's all good!

• anacrisg
    anacrisg Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "Our goal for our macros were 75% fat 25% Protein and 5% Carbs"

I know I'm late but, I think you might have a rough time meeting these goals.

hahahaha lol... typo...I meant 75% fat, 15% protein 5% carbs
  • anacrisg
    Options
    The power of carbs is strong!!!
    anacrisg wrote: »
    ... he started farting again

Yes, yes it is...

... I was gonna ask about nitrates (some Keto folks push-up their intake of cured meats), but if you've got it under control, it's all good!

I'll keep it in mind if there's a next time!! Thank you!!! :)
  • Michellelynn219
    Michellelynn219 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Now that I think about it I had a rash that came on for no reason about the same time that I started my weight loss journey. I had it on my neck and in the bend of my right arm. It was super itchy and nothing had changed, soap, shampoo, etc. I took a look at my log and sure enough, my carbs were very low at that time. My rash is gone, not sure when it left. My carb intake has gone up. Hmmm...strange, I wonder if it was the same thing.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Glad it is better. :)

As to the, er, farting. That can be partially fibre driven. If he has carbs that are not with high fibre, it may be better. Maybe.

Or buy Beano. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

As to the, er, farting. That can be partially fibre driven. If he has carbs that are not with high fibre, it may be better. Maybe.

Or buy Beano. ;)

I would think the farting is from protein or fiber.. outside of that, carbs don't really have the much of an association to farting.. at least that I know of or have experienced.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Or buy Beano. ;)

I would think the farting is from protein or fiber.. outside of that, carbs don't really have the much of an association to farting.. at least that I know of or have experienced.

Exactly. Carbs are not the cause but the accompanying fibre can cause gas... I did not realize protein did as well.

Less gas is a nice perk of LCHF. ;)
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

Or buy Beano. ;)

Exactly. Carbs are not the cause but the accompanying fibre can cause gas... I did not realize protein did as well.

Less gas is a nice perk of LCHF. ;)

Correct, yet if you have malabsorption issues (with FODMAPs for instance) undigested carbs can enter the large intestine and be fermented there by bacteria, and the outcome is... gas.
  • anacrisg
    Options
    Now that I think about it I had a rash that came on for no reason about the same time that I started my weight loss journey. I had it on my neck and in the bend of my right arm. It was super itchy and nothing had changed, soap, shampoo, etc. I took a look at my log and sure enough, my carbs were very low at that time. My rash is gone, not sure when it left. My carb intake has gone up. Hmmm...strange, I wonder if it was the same thing.

Probably!!! Good thing that is gone!!! :)
  • SisalKeenly
    SisalKeenly Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel like keto rash must be more prevalent than they are letting on. I never get rashes and I've got it in patches under my arms. It started about 4 days after I started keto and looks exactly like the rash that pops up on google images when you type in "keto rash." I'm guessing that 20 years ago when keto diets were used in the medical field and were carefully controlled by a physician, they saw it a lot less frequently than now when we're all just blindly going by what ruled.me tells us to do.
  • anacrisg
    Options
    I feel like keto rash must be more prevalent than they are letting on. I never get rashes and I've got it in patches under my arms. It started about 4 days after I started keto and looks exactly like the rash that pops up on google images when you type in "keto rash." I'm guessing that 20 years ago when keto diets were used in the medical field and were carefully controlled by a physician, they saw it a lot less frequently than now when we're all just blindly going by what ruled.me tells us to do.

I agree with you! By now my rash disappeared, I don't fast and I eat enough food especially the days I go to the gym. My bf keeps eating carbs to keep it away... When he doesn't eat enough food or carbs, the rash starts to come back... He is still in ketosis, we bought the stripes to detect the ketones so... I guess is about to get to know your body and trying different solutions... Try to take care of yourself, and be patient, I hope it goes away soon!!
  • Pineapples
    Pineapples Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    @anacrisg did the itching/rash stopped? I'm on day 5 and itching like crazy, no rash yet though.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sorry but how healthy can keto be when it causes rashes on people? I'm even more against it now
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Sorry but how healthy can keto be when it causes rashes on people? I'm even more against it now

Lots of things give you rashes... I get rashes in the winter from dry skin and rashes in the summer from sweating too much.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Peanuts and seafood can cause rashes, does that make them unhealthy?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

For the people who eat them and get rashes, yes, those foods are unhealthy for them.

For those who eat them with no ill effects, no.
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options

If they cause rashes it's your body's way of reacting negatively so you know not to have those foods anymore. If your body reacts same way to keto then it means dont do it
  • psuLemon
    Options

If they cause rashes it's your body's way of reacting negatively so you know not to have those foods anymore. If your body reacts same way to keto then it means dont do it

The point was, it may not be right for the individual, but its not unhealthy for everyone else.