Does anyone do a Re-feeding day? Feeling Discouraged

Options
Jan3D
Jan3D Posts: 49 Member
Been eating 1100 - 1200 calories for the last 6 weeks since I started MFP, training 3 days with weights, 3 cardio days, one rest day. Have only lost 6 lbs, but I'm firming up (I used to be very strong and muscular, so hoping muscle memory is a real thing) Female, 5'9 and 56 years young . I was feeling tired and really hungry yesterday so allowed myself a refeed day. Ended up eating 2200 calories, including a brownie with icing and two alcoholic drinks. I'm back on plan today, but the scale went up 4 pounds. I know I didn't gain 4 lbs of fat, but wonder if I set myself back a good bit here....? Anyone have experience with this? I'm discouraged.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lots of things going on here.

Your calorie target is probably too low if you're feeling tired and really hungry. I'd recommend 1 lb/week rather than 2.

When you have a sustainable intake, you can look at controlled "refeed" days if you want. Just eating dessert and drinking isn't that.

And it's ok you ate 2200 calories. No biggie. The weight gain was not fat. You'll drop down again.
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A lot of people will tell you you need to up your calories, so be prepared for that. But if you are set n sticking to your current lifestyle, then i'd suggest getting back on it and drink loads and loads of water to help flush out your system, and that weight will drop off in a couple of days.