why such an early plateau?

Options
nehaad88
nehaad88 Posts: 159 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello people.

I have been trying to lose weight since last month. I keep my intake between 1200-1300 cals (my entries here are not accurate as the Indian food entries here are not that great. I use a local database for logging accurately). I either do 40 mins cardio alone or split 20 mins cardio and 20-30 mins of weight training and 1 hour of zumba twice a week in addition. I try not to eat he exercise calories back.

Been doing this for 5 weeks. I have lost only 2.5 kilos so far. All the weight loss was in the first 2 weeks. Nothing for the last 3. I have lost inches and that is visible. The clothes fit bettter, I am getting into smaller clothes. I just really want for the scale to move.

I am seriously considering reducing my food intake further but then I am concerned that I wont be able to exercise.

As a note, my protein intake is on the lower side (15-18%, not more than that). Can this be contributing to the stall? I do drink plenty of water throughout the day (3 lit +).

Any tips, suggestions are welcome.

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    It's not a plateau... that would be about six weeks of no change at all, as far as I understand it. You're losing inches, so something is happening!

Please try not to focus on the scale so much, and don't reduce your intake any further. Keep doing what you're doing (maybe even consider eating back a portion of your exercise calories, since that's how this site is designed to work), and have patience. :)

Depending on how much you want to lose in total, it could be a very slow process - but if you can wear smaller clothes already, then you're being very successful! It's just not showing up on the scale yet, but it will. Hang in there!
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    2.5 kilos in 5 weeks is roughly a pound a week. You are doing great!! Don't reduce your calories further, you probably should eat some of the exercise calories back.
    Definitely eat more protein. Lack of sufficient protein combined with high consumption of water causes fluid retention.
  • nehaad88
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    It's not a plateau... that would be about six weeks of no change at all, as far as I understand it. You're losing inches, so something is happening!

Please try not to focus on the scale so much, and don't reduce your intake any further. Keep doing what you're doing (maybe even consider eating back a portion of your exercise calories, since that's how this site is designed to work), and have patience. :)

Depending on how much you want to lose in total, it could be a very slow process - but if you can wear smaller clothes already, then you're being very successful! It's just not showing up on the scale yet, but it will. Hang in there!

I think patience is all I need. I feel great as long as I dont look at the scale. Its so thrilling to wear the clothes I have had for a long time but did not wear because they were too tight.

I think I will give the scale a break for some time.

Thanks for the positive remarks.
  • nehaad88
    Options
    Zipbsky wrote: »
    2.5 kilos in 5 weeks is roughly a pound a week. You are doing great!! Don't reduce your calories further, you probably should eat some of the exercise calories back.
    Definitely eat more protein. Lack of sufficient protein combined with high consumption of water causes fluid retention.

I will gradually increase my protein while replacing carbs.

Thanks for the positive remarks.