When you know you feel full but still want to eat more

Options
I often wonder what is going on when you've had a good meal, really do feel full, often to the point of that nice little satisfied 'pain' of a full stomach, but you still crave that mouth feel of more food. I just had a really nice home made beef stew and it was a good sized portion (filled my bowl and then went back for the last cup or so), was about 500 cals, and I am full - but my brain and mouth are wondering what is in the kitchen and maybe I can go get that, some ice cream or some cheese popcorn or that mango I got yesterday. What is that?!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Have a cup of rooibos or lemon-ginger tea. A tea that is somewhat sweet without added sugar.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I agree with the hot tea, unsweetened. It keeps your hands and mouth busy. Or get up and take a 10 minute walk or get busy on a project.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    A big glass of water helps me.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    It's either just pleasure-seeking (the dopamine cycle is a powerful thing) or else the urge to chew, which is separate from the need for food. Similar to the way babies will go on sucking sometimes for hours after they've had enough milk. It's a powerful urge in its own right.

That's really interesting, I didn't know the behaviour was observed in babies.

I think this probably accounts for what we call a 'dessert stomach'.
  • danieljwhipple
    danieljwhipple Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try to eat the dinner a little slower. It's helped me. A hot drink takes time to drink. Keep staying aware of the problem. That's the first step.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I was just thinking about this the other night. I can make a perfectly satisfying meal, like you say, eat it mindfully and really enjoy it, and the next thought to enter my head is, "What can I have next?" Is that the definition of gluttony? Don't have any answers, but I believe it's addressed in a book I'm reading about using cognitive-behavioral in regards to diet & weight loss (not eliminating those urges, but training your brain to properly respond to them). I also agree with previous posters that a hot beverage can help. The danger for me is having to be in the kitchen for clean-up after dinner. :(
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's either just pleasure-seeking (the dopamine cycle is a powerful thing) or else the urge to chew, which is separate from the need for food. Similar to the way babies will go on sucking sometimes for hours after they've had enough milk. It's a powerful urge in its own right.

What s/he said.

For me, it's all mental. I'm only every "hungry" around 9 am. The rest of the day is me eating because food tastes good, I'm bored, I "need" to get my protein/calories in, the food is stale, etc..
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm at my last five pounds and feeling quite hungry the last week or so. I do the water, I drink hot tea, I am able to resist, I'm pretty good about staying within my means, but the feeling is so ridiculous. It's like two perfectly opposite feelings at the exact same time. Appetite versus hunger is an interesting concept, likely pleasure seeking for me.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Brushing my teeth most times kills any appetite I have left. It's like I'm just not interested cuz what goes well with toothpaste?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I'm at my last five pounds and feeling quite hungry the last week or so. I do the water, I drink hot tea, I am able to resist, I'm pretty good about staying within my means, but the feeling is so ridiculous. It's like two perfectly opposite feelings at the exact same time. Appetite versus hunger is an interesting concept, likely pleasure seeking for me.

Lol... "Ahhh... I'm so satisfied! What else you got?" ;)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Lol... "Ahhh... I'm so satisfied! What else you got?" ;)

Yep! And I don't even have a particularly sweet tooth so I'm not craving cake all the time, I could go make myself a sandwich as easy :smiley:
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    You've articulated how I feel sometimes very well! When I 'know' I am not hungry, I either have herbal tea or a low calorie drink or just some water. But sometimes I just don't feel 'satisfied'. It can be really odd. Possibly boredom? Or just like really enjoying food? Maybe a mix of different things at different times!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    chew gum
    brush your teeth
    drink water
  • brznhabits
    brznhabits Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Also sugar free suckers and/or hard candies.