Anyone on here NOT weighing themselves?

Options
I ditched the scale a while a go after introducing strength training and finding it stopped moving.

I'm now going by my clothes and how I look and after a few frustrating weeks I have started to notice a difference!

I'm not obsessing over calories but focusing on what I eat (cleaner, leaner foods). I am viewing this as a lifestyle change and using MFP to track my macros and for motivation/support.

Anyone on here doing the same? If so feel free to add me! It would be nice to have some more people on here doing similar to me helping me along my journey and viced versus :)

Thanks

Replies

• Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    How clothing fits and measurements is the best way. I only weigh myself once a week and it's cause I have a hard time keeping weight on
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself nowadays. I have been in maintenance a few years though.

I did weigh myself yesterday, I was the same weight as on Jan 18. I weighed myself sometime in November- the same weight plus .2lbs.
    I tend go by how my clothes fit, and what my belly looks like in the bathroom mirror- first place to gain; last to lose.

Cheers, h.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly. I have found that it is harder for me to lie to myself if I look at the figure on the scale once in a while. I regained 70 lbs by not looking at the scale. I don't intend to do that again.
  • LittleDoodlePoodle
    LittleDoodlePoodle Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a month. Usually the first day after my period finishes, first thing in the morning. That's when water retention is at its lowest, for me anyway.

That might sound silly, but I have weighed myself the first day after a period and the second day, and had a difference of 3 pounds. I don't consider myself bloated, either, so it's weird how much hormones effect my weight. My clothes could feel looser and I could feel better but the scales don't move or they move in the wrong direction. So for me, I weigh once a month and if they scale is less than the month before, and it always has been, i'm happy.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't own a scale, and at the most will also only weigh myself once a month at the gym or a friends house, when I know my hormones aren't at play. Right now I haven't checked since the 19th of Jan, but I can feel and see the differences in my body. So for me it's all good as long, as I continue to go to and follow my workouts at the gym, do cross fit, walk and track my calories. If it's half a pound or more each week so be it- I'll still get there eventually. It might not be for everyone but I just don't see the rush anymore.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself only once every 3 or 4 months, to make certain I remain in my maintenance slot ... not too concerned about the weight anymore, as I appear to have found a "stable" way of life, which includes food and workout/calorie burn
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I ditched the scale a while a go after introducing strength training and finding it stopped moving.

I'm now going by my clothes and how I look and after a few frustrating weeks I have started to notice a difference!

I'm not obsessing over calories but focusing on what I eat (cleaner, leaner foods). I am viewing this as a lifestyle change and using MFP to track my macros and for motivation/support.

Anyone on here doing the same? If so feel free to add me! It would be nice to have some more people on here doing similar to me helping me along my journey and viced versus :)

Thanks

The bold is actually why you stopped seeing weight loss. It just so happened around the same time as strength training. Generally, your body will draw in fluids to help repair the muscles when you start weight training (generally 2-4 lbs) and will maintain that as long as you lift, but outside of that, it won't prevent weight loss.

Personally, I weigh myself daily as I like additional datapoints. Data allows me to make a decision on my programming efficacy. By doing this, it will allow me to make more information decisions on the dietary aspect. I also track my weights (reps x set x weight = volume). Tracking volume allows me to understand if I am getting strong and progressing through a designed program as suggested. And then I track with photos/measurements/bf % to see if my composition is changing appropriately.

But then again, I love numbers...
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I weight daily and track in Happy Scale. Log new lows into MFP as they occur. It helps me identify trends and figure out what affects me (high sodium, certain foods, TOM, etc). But I'm in finance by trade, so I live and breathe by numbers and tracking files. :smiley:
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I didn't weigh myself for 6 months once gained about 20 pounds ha. I think for me I need the personal accountability and being able to see the weight fluctuations help me determine what I should and shouldn't be eating.
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to do regular weight checks, but I found I became obsessed and was doing it every day. I would also then freak out if there was a change I didn't like.

Now I go with how my clothes feel and have started to measure instead.

Good luck on your journey!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    ^^^You're a shapeshifter? :)

Yeah I need the scale too. When I stop weighing I gain :( like it's the scales fault lol.

Haha! I am! I swear sometimes I'm at my ultimate thinnest then wake up fatter than ever the next day. When I start running I'm a gazelle, but by the end of the run I'm a hippopotamus. Sometimes during the same day I feel my clothes fitting both looser and tighter. When I feel fat I'm more aware of the various contact points of my clothes and my brain interprets that as "tighter". So I guess yes, I am a shapeshifter of sorts.

When I don't track my weight, and especially if I'm lax with logging, I gain weight without noticing until it's too late.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Nah, been a daily weigher for around 5 years now. I like the data it provides and also the accountability the weigh-ins give me.
  • TomKershawUK
    TomKershawUK Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do weigh myself a few times a week, but probably should stop as I tend to be lighter when not exercising and slightly heavier if doing well at the gym etc.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I tried not weighing in. It didn't work for me. I found that I wasn't being accountable and if the scale wasn't moving I can adjust what I'm doing.

It also made me feel great last time I lost a lot of weight looking at the graph and the huge line drop over a few months.
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Skipper111 wrote: »
    I used to do regular weight checks, but I found I became obsessed and was doing it every day. I would also then freak out if there was a change I didn't like.

Now I go with how my clothes feel and have started to measure instead.

Good luck on your journey!

This is exactly why I stopped weighing myself, I was getting obsessed too and if it didn't move or moved upwards (even by half a pound) I'd get really depressed and either binge eat (self destructive I know) or starve myself. I have a very obsessive personality so I decided it wasn't best for me!
  • Fat_Fighter87
    Fat_Fighter87 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    goldenday wrote: »
    I don't own a scale, and at the most will also only weigh myself once a month at the gym or a friends house, when I know my hormones aren't at play. Right now I haven't checked since the 19th of Jan, but I can feel and see the differences in my body. So for me it's all good as long, as I continue to go to and follow my workouts at the gym, do cross fit, walk and track my calories. If it's half a pound or more each week so be it- I'll still get there eventually. It might not be for everyone but I just don't see the rush anymore.

Eurgh hormones tell me about it, I've had various blood tests recently for mine over the past few months as I was so up and down and bloated! I've now started on a different contraceptive pill which seems to be calming everything down a bit slowly. I'm also hoping this has been a factor in the non scale move! I might try the weigh in monthly like you suggested, the last thing I want is to gain! Thanks :)