Have you ever denied someone a spot?

Options
ZodFit
ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
When someone asks you if you can spot have you said no? I witnessed this happen in the most rude way possible with a actual *shoo hand gesture* and a response of you look strong enough. Same mean gym bro asked me yesterday how many sets I had left to which I responded with idk, just started with a shoulder shrug. When someone asks for a spot it can take a lot of courage plus they probably sought you out because you look strong enough to bear the weight of the lift and the soul of the spotee. Some might think this was a petty move but that same few probably deny people spots which is basically denying muscle which I am 100% not ok with. RANT OVER

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Unless I am doing quick sets or rapid sets, I let anyone work in.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Only a couple of times. One on a guy who I've asked several times to put rerack his weights and still doesn't. The other was a for a guy who notoriously puts TOO MUCH weight on a bar, doing less than half reps and trying to get 3. I spotted him once and did all the work. I already trained arms that day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    just last night I asked someone for a spot and instead of declining the request he found someone else who could handle the weight if anything went south. I ended up needing help on the 7th rep.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiences. I only asked because I wanted to see if this was unique to the individual or is there a sub group of gym bros who are rude , pseudo-alpha males. Interesssting
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    If I am doing more work or think I am going to get more out of it than you, then NO SPOT. DENIED! I know, I know, be sensitive to their needs Zilla. Maybe I just need a snickers bar.
  • Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've almost never been asked, but I'd only deny if I thought I couldn't handle the weight easily. I know from painful experience that a weak spotter is dangerous.