What Should I do With a Negative Person?

Options
Pretty pissed off at my wife. I have put in a lot of hard work, dedication, and sacrifice over the last year to get where I am today. I am in a completely different place physically, mentally, and emotionally than I was a year ago. Not only have I dropped over 200 pounds and 40% body fat, I have become extremely active and driven in everything I do. My previously constant procrastination is non-existent. If something needs to be done, I do it, immediately, with 110% effort and attention to detail. To me, all of these things sound like positive character traits. To my wife? They are targets for ridicule and negative jabs.

I know that her anger and negativity is actually directed at herself. For a long time, she was the fit and active person while I tried to keep up and then eventually gave up. What pisses me off is the fact that her issues with her own body and image translate into lashing out at me for making positive change in MY life. You want to be fat and lazy? That's your CHOICE!! "Don't try to bring me down because you are guilty that you stuff your face full of fast food on a daily basis and always find an excuse to NOT workout! If you aren't going to be supportive of my positive life transformation then just keep your mouth shut!! I don't go around poking your fat rolls and telling you that you need to exercise or stop eating junk food!"

She is my wife! She should be my biggest champion and cheerleader!! Instead, she is the ONLY person who is actively trying to tear me down mentally and pushing me to backslide physically!!!

Pissed off doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I'm feeling right now!!

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    EauRouge1 wrote: »
    Wait, did you just call your wife fat and lazy?

That struck a chord with me too! She could be going through things emotionally and although what she is doing is wrong, she may have her own issues. Have you tried telling her how you feel with her behaviours?
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Sounds toxic. Weight loss can do crazy things to both partners. You need counseling if you want to stay married.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It sounds like while you may have experienced great success, your wife is a bit left behind in the dust. You say she used to be the fit one, and you also gave up on keeping up with her. Perhaps the tables are turned and she has given up this time? I'd talk to her and tell her that you are her biggest cheerleader and try and help her become fit and healthy again. She may also be suffering from depression....depressed people can be very hard to live with as they are constantly negative. So, in short sounds like your wife needs you now more than you need her.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Having an honest conversation without gabs or poking at the sore spots is the cure. Easier said than done. My husband and I have similarly changed positions. Although I would like to see him take better care of himself I know I can't force him. He did lash out but now accepts that I am living a healthier lifestyle which he is welcome to join me in but I am not stopping because he isn't coming along.
  • catgerm
    catgerm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Is there a way u could support her?

It's interesting to me that when one partner loses, the other doesn't follow suit. I started eating better, and my husband eats whatever I make. So h s been losing. I started working out more, and so it's motivated him to get back to the gym.

Maybe she needs u to go on walks w her or make dinner a few nights a week. It may help get her feel like ur on the same team.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Maybe something emotional/mental is going on with her. Bring up couple's therapy and individual, but in a supportive way.
    Also, you should think twice about calling your wife fat and lazy.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Britney-Spears-Disgusted-Reaction-American-Idol.gif
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please see a marriage counselor to help you guys get on the same page!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    okay...so you vented here. Please don't say those awful things to your wife. Don't let the confidence you've gained in getting control of your weight and reaching goals turn into arrogance and intolerance for those who yet to find the willpower to change.

All of us married folks on here deal with our partners working against us at times..even our parents and loved ones do it. .. They feel threatened when someone close to them changes..it can be scary.. they can feel left behind.. or life isn't the same...and they also realize that they are stuck and they act out.

just be sure you put as much effort into being kind and understanding of your wife as you do at tackling all your goals.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! :)

Talk to your wife about your feelings, but also listen to her feelings as well. Think about getting some help from a marriage counselor.

It sounds like you are no longer the same person she married, and that might be the core issue here.

Is she the same person you married?

And the things you said in your original post: not nice. Don't say them to her. Don't even think them while you're talking with her because that head-game will get into the way of any healthy communication.

Edited to add: when I lost over 40 lbs, my partner said I no longer seemed like the same person. He gave me examples and talked about how he felt. I talked about my feelings as well. When we talked, things pretty much resolved themselves. Give it time too.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Some people are able to control relationships because the other person was needy, had low self-esteem, or something similar. Once that dynamics shifts they lose control. It is insecurity in the fact they feel they no longer have that one thing they were using to keep you under their control . If you start feeling confident, attractive, less dependent they fear you won't need them, or worse, you will leave them for some one else because you will realize how crappy they are/were. Putting you down and crushing your self-esteem is how they maintain control.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Some people are able to control relationships because the other person was needy, had low self-esteem, or something similar. Once that dynamics shifts they lose control. It is insecurity in the fact they feel they no longer have that one thing they were using to keep you under their control . If you start feeling confident, attractive, less dependent they fear you won't need them, or worse, you will leave them for some one else because you will realize how crappy they are/were. Putting you down and crushing your self-esteem is how they maintain control.

Word. In one of my earlier attempts at weight-loss, I was still single and sharing an apartment with a roommate I now recognize was needy and manipulative. Our relationship eventually became co-dependent. And as my weight started to drop and I started feeling better about myself, she started to sabotage me. I don't know whether it was deliberate. It might not have been. But she kept telling me that I was obsessing over my weight (usually when I passed up the baked goods her mother had brought over) and was going to develop an ED. She made me feel guilty for wanting to spend time outside the apartment, wanting to spend time with other friends... If I did make plans, she would tell me that she was feeling depressed and that it would be 'bad' for her to be alone. Eventually, I got out of there, and got her out of my life, but that was a lousy time for me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    OMAChiver wrote: »
    Pretty pissed off at my wife. I have put in a lot of hard work, dedication, and sacrifice over the last year to get where I am today. I am in a completely different place physically, mentally, and emotionally than I was a year ago. Not only have I dropped over 200 pounds and 40% body fat, I have become extremely active and driven in everything I do. My previously constant procrastination is non-existent. If something needs to be done, I do it, immediately, with 110% effort and attention to detail. To me, all of these things sound like positive character traits. To my wife? They are targets for ridicule and negative jabs.

I know that her anger and negativity is actually directed at herself. For a long time, she was the fit and active person while I tried to keep up and then eventually gave up. What pisses me off is the fact that her issues with her own body and image translate into lashing out at me for making positive change in MY life. You want to be fat and lazy? That's your CHOICE!! "Don't try to bring me down because you are guilty that you stuff your face full of fast food on a daily basis and always find an excuse to NOT workout! If you aren't going to be supportive of my positive life transformation then just keep your mouth shut!! I don't go around poking your fat rolls and telling you that you need to exercise or stop eating junk food!"

She is my wife! She should be my biggest champion and cheerleader!! Instead, she is the ONLY person who is actively trying to tear me down mentally and pushing me to backslide physically!!!

Pissed off doesn't even BEGIN to describe how I'm feeling right now!!

To the bolded:

If you want her to be your cheerleader, you need to be hers, too. None of what I bolded sounds like the attitude of a loving considerate husband. Far, far from it, actually. I'd tell you what you do sound like, but that would probably garner me a warning. :/

If I found out my husband had been venting about me in this manner on a public forum, I'd be absolutely livid.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    shame OP never came back...