Advice for protein intake (article)

Options
Macy9336
Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-much-protein-should-i-eat-2017-3

Interesting article on protein intake. Basically says we should eat protein at every meal because the body needs to draw on protein all day and that if we bulk up on protein at dinner, it's a waste because that protein is either secreted or converted to fat. Just thought I would share.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Don't take nutritional advice from a business article. Agree most people do need to consume more protein, but half of what she says is complete bunk (protein converting into fat if you eat it at dinner - WTH). And she's a nutritionist with a degree. That's scary.
  • Macy9336
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Don't take nutritional advice from a business article. Agree most people do need to consume more protein, but half of what she says is complete bunk (protein converting into fat if you eat it at dinner - WTH). And she's a nutritionist with a degree. That's scary.
    Well it was written by a degreed nutritionist so I thought it was credible. You say half of what she said is bunk...I really want to learn...what is correct about protein?
    Can you list a source, or share your qualifications in nutrition?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »
    Well it was written by a degreed nutritionist so I thought it was credible. You say half of what she said is bunk...I really want to learn...what is correct about protein?

Protein intake depends largely on a few factors; what is your weight objective (loss, maintenance, gain), body composition and activity level. In general terms, 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight. The more lean and more active, the further to the right.

http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/pdf/10.1139/apnm-2015-0549
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Also, the argument for spreading protein is largely for satiety and there may be some small transient effect of being able to stimulate muscle protein synthesis to help build muscle. But that later point is a bit oversimplified and not as important as total protein intake. That argument may be made that spreading protein is superior if protein intakes would be equal.. again due to leucine (an amino acids) and it's effect on MPS. But additional research is still required to confirm that consistent proteins maintains higher levels of MPS as compared to large amounts of protein in a smaller window.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Macy9336 wrote: »

"So if you're not getting enough protein at breakfast or lunch, there isn't any protein storage your body can pull from to get that nutrient during the day. " - Not sure what she means by this. As far as energy carbs and fat would be your initial sources of energy. Protein is not considered a primary source of energy. Protein is needed to build muscle and prevent muscle loss in times of calorie deficits.

"if you eat more protein than you need at dinner, your body will either break down the excess and excrete it or store it as fat instead of muscle." - No excessive calories are stored as fat and shouldn't matter on the source. Protein doesn't convert into fat since it is made of amino acids. It can be broken down and stored in the liver to be used at another time.

Bottom line - protein helps with satiety (true), but fat gains are from over eating any macro (not just protein). Here is a study comparing protein intake and fat gains.
    http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1103993

• Macy9336
    Options
    Thanks! Off to read the links y'all posted before my batteries die on me. Cheers :)