Any success stories going Vegan or Raw Vegan?

Options
Lavelle1980
Lavelle1980 Posts: 367 Member
Looking for inspirational stories from a plant based diet. Were there any illness that disappeared, Weight loss, Muscle gain, energy, or nothing changed?

Replies

• UltraVegRunnerBabe
    UltraVegRunnerBabe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It's easier to lose and maintain weight; I'm no longer anemic; period cramps are all gone and my flow is lighter; I poop 2-3 times a day(•.•)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I used to have really bad scabs on my scalp. Never saw a doctor about them. Could've been eczema, dandruff, psoraiesis, I'm not sure since I was never diagnosed. But when I went vegetarian, it cleared up in a couple of weeks and, apart from one or two minor flare-ups that were gone in a couple of days, it's been gone for 26 years.

Now, I've gained a lot of weight being vegetarian... because so are chocolate, french fries, many baked goods, etc. But I'm hoping to reverse that trend and make it to maintenance this time.
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I started a raw vegan diet for Lent and since then, I have lost 12 pounds, cut my insulin intake in more than half (I'm a type 1 diabetic), my sugars are near perfect, and I have experienced a dramatic increase in energy. I also noticed old cuts and bruises healing, my skin is less dry, and my hair stopped falling out. I'm following the 80/10/10 rule best I can, but I love my olives and cashew milk.
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for 4 years, never felt better and healthier in my life, just ran my first half marathon. There are many reasons to consider a vegan lifestyle, I recommend forks over knives documentary. There are sooooo many resources for food, look at Pinterest, minimalist baker, oh she glows, etc. People always wonder what I eat. You can veganize just about anything. :)
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    I started a raw vegan diet for Lent and since then, I have lost 12 pounds, cut my insulin intake in more than half (I'm a type 1 diabetic), my sugars are near perfect, and I have experienced a dramatic increase in energy. I also noticed old cuts and bruises healing, my skin is less dry, and my hair stopped falling out. I'm following the 80/10/10 rule best I can, but I love my olives and cashew milk.

Nice! I'm beginning the 80 10 10 as well, Only on day 2. The first day, I was pumped full of energy.

• Lavelle1980
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    I've been vegan for 4 years, never felt better and healthier in my life, just ran my first half marathon. There are many reasons to consider a vegan lifestyle, I recommend forks over knives documentary. There are sooooo many resources for food, look at Pinterest, minimalist baker, oh she glows, etc. People always wonder what I eat. You can veganize just about anything. :)

Sweet! I watched the Forks over Knives documentary, and quite a few others as well. I ordered the Thug Kitchen book, which my family loves. Now transitioning to Raw. I started out w/ the Gardein Products, but didn't know a difference in my energy. So trying out this Raw lifestyle.

• jetfan919
    jetfan919 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My husband and I made a decision to begin a plant based lifestyle last week. I just turned 50, and I can tell my metabolism is slowing down. He is in his mid 50's with chronic back pain, HBP, eczema, and high cholesterol. Docs are kind, but just keep prescribing meds which aren't working and caused him to gain 40 lbs. We are hoping that a plant based diet will reverse the HBP and cholesterol, and the weight loss will help with the back pain. Forks Over Knives is thought provoking, we watched it as well and it helped solidify our decision. I recommend the Engine 2 Seven Day Rescue. It's a solid foundation with good recipes. Good luck!
  • Lavelle1980
    Options
    So the 80 10 10, didn't work out for me. It's good for mornings, but I need some cooked Quinoa in my life.
  • erbear117
    erbear117 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I just want to recommend caution with changing your macros so drastically. I was vegetarian for 12 years, eating super healthy, 110 lbs, and still developed insulin resistance (pcos). Perhaps over time, my body couldn't handle the glycemic load that comes with eating so many veggies, fruits, and grains. (No longer a vegetarian because it's severely limiting when eating fruits and grains are no longer the best option for your body.) Just take into consideration the glycemic load and make sure to eat lots of fiber! (No juicing!) Also... fat is your friend! Our bodies/brains need it, and modern research has concluded there isn't really a link between dietary fat % and weight gain. Substituting some of the carb load for healthy fat might help your energy last longer throughout the day too.
  • vegandoenut
    vegandoenut Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am and will always be in love with eating raw, nothing compares to it. I have bundles of energy, super clear skin, I sleep better etc. I do love cooked food though so if I'm not eating fully raw at the time I tend to do the Rawtill4 thing. Raw all day with a high carb low fat evening meal. It's enormously easy to maintain.

Before I was vegan I had an incurable disease of the bladder that I'd been afflicted with for 10 years, it was debilitating, going vegan resolved this in a matter of months. I am still shocked to this day as is my doctor! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!