My first 5K

Options
So, I decided I want to get back into racing, it has been 11 years since I ran for my junior high cross country team. I want to start small, with a 5K, at the end of April. I do run regularly, either outside when the side walks are clear or on a treadmill during the winter. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions for training for such an event. I am going to try and get to the local indoor running track instead of depending on the treadmill. I will try to get outside to run at least once a week (since there is snow all over the side walk and I will have to run on the street). If anyone is willing to give me their story of how they train I will be more than happy to listen.

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local Parkrun near you? It would be a good way of gauging your progress.

I'd also consider doing one of the c25k plans if you've not run for a bit (or maybe since you HAVE run before, a c210k). Gets you back into running.

other than than cycling and hills for the leg strength, and as much outside as you can do.