conscience of my curvy girl

Options
Here are my Specs

SW: 190
CW: 168
GW: 150ish (As was pretty well my lowest 2 years ago)
Height: 5'7

Does anyone here flip flop like a toupee on a windy day over their body image? Some days I feel great. Other days I can't help but wonder why I am the only person in my Yoga class with cellulite on my thighs and busty cleavage. The thought of wearing shorts in the summer gives me anxiety. Running on a treadmill sounds like the Calgary stampede. I am generally the sweatiest person the in the gym... or just in general. Sometimes I can't help but give the skinny girl eating all the pizza and sweet cut eye. She's sweet at all, but....

At the end of the day, I am a happy and healthy person but the conscience of my curvy girl can not be crushed.

Anyone else?

Replies

• Mandamanda93
    Mandamanda93 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I feel you! Even when I was skinny enough when I was a weightlifter in college, having a naturally curvy body does not make for a fun time at the gym (PS buying sports bras- like, are you kidding me? Needle in a haystack to find a good one).
    But who cares? You're focusing on your health. You're doing what's good for your body. Those skinny girls eating pizza sure are lucky, but we're strong and tough (they may be too, not knocking them by any means). It's hard to not be petty and jealous, but personally, I just focus on being my best self and helping others be their best selves and if it means cellulite for me and a cupcake for someone else... That's my life, and I'm going to live it as best I can.
    If you ever want to talk about this, I 100% get you. I'm 23, about 180, 5'5. I can certainly sympathize with the curvy girl struggle :p
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I try my best not to compare myself to others (easier said than done) but this is something I am making a conscious effort of doing.

I am becoming the best version of me. I don't need to be someone else.

I don't know their life and I don't want to compare the beginning of my journey (or any part for that matter) to the middle or end of theirs.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    It's healthy to have shame. Just because there is a cultural pressure to "embrace being overweight" for women doesn't mean you need to fall for it. I'm really not sure what the end goal of the body positive movement is, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having shame or wanting to push yourself further. You don't have to hate yourself, and of course you should love yourself as a person, but if you feel like running on the treadmill sounds like a stampede, that's a healthy feeling of shame as far as I'm concerned. Keep doing you. Get fit. Destroy the things that make you feel shameful.
  • CatWhispererrrr
    CatWhispererrrr Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to keep things light and overall I am happy with my body and I enjoy being active. I also love food so there's a fine balance. I love seeing women who rock their curves!! My post isn't meant to body shame myself or anyone, Rather, I just wanted to hear if others struggle with the same inner thoughts now and again. I also try not to compare myself with others but I think most people would be fibbing If they said they didn't every now and then!
  • Staceygram
    Staceygram Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'd totally kill to have smaller boobs or hips, it's just not possible with my shape. I rock skirts and fitted tops but can't find a pair of jeans that don't gape at the waist. And don't get me started on buying bras...lol. most of the time I love my body but some days....I'm just glad they are few and far between normally.
  • veggrrrl
    veggrrrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't mind being curvy for the most part, but like the post above, I hate buying clothes! I had to learn to sew in order to get anything to fit properly, and I kind of hate sewing when it's mandatory and not for fun. None of my bras fit, not even the sports ones. It's hard not to feel gigantic or exasperated when shopping for clothes, and I'm not gigantic, I'm just a different shape. I really wish someone would've told teenage-me that. And I really, really wish someone would start a line of clothing for hourglass women!
  • Staceygram
    Options
    Veggrrl
    I'm a 30G and have finally found a place to buy bras that fit that doesn't break the bank. I have not tried their sports bras as of yet, but I can attest to other styles. Check out Adore Me. But definitely get some help getting your proper measurements first and work out your size properly.
  • kathrinep
    kathrinep Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Curvy ladies, I've found some great "pretty things" at adoreme.com ...no I don't get paid to say that (although it would be nice) but I've just been really impressed with what I've ordered and some of my favorite, quality things are from them.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You should focus more on your human qualities. I see lots of people flip flop over image on here. Even the "fit" people are highly self-conscious. Whether people are aware or not they objectify their bodies. Trying to have these perfect bodies and objectifying them only makes you have object to object interactions rather than person to person. Things become too rigid with no slack and it becomes a lot of stress to maintain this image. At the end of the day everyone is still human no one is inherently "better" than the other. Once you drop the fear about your body and others you will notice how genuine and refreshing your interactions with people are. You do not have to be preoccupied with insecurities every minute of the day.
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love my curvy self. I've always been bigger than most girls, but I'm also built like an athlete (just a curvy one). We all have our insecurities. I hate the mirrors in the studio where I work out, BUT I tell myself that this is me right now and I know where I want to get to. I have hips, they don't just go away, but I can work to slim them down a little and get myself in shape. I will never be a size 2, heck I don't think I'll ever hit single digits, but that's ok with me. I'm built bigger, that's just me. I am self conscious but I don't let it get my down. I've found that those insecurities are driving me to do better. I started working out 2 weeks ago, after a month of working to get my eating habits on track. So far since Christmas, I've lost just about 12lbs. My muscles are sore, I'm tired, but I know this is my body trying to adjust to the changes.

I used to envy the girls that look like "sticks" but now, I know I don't want to be that small (no offense to anyone of course). I love my curves and I love the fact that I'm slowly changing my body and working towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • veggrrrl
    veggrrrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the adoreme recommendation!

When my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I answered,"bras that fit." You know you're a grown-up when...
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    @veggrrrl I totally get excited over stuff like that. My mom got me an electric skillet and I was happier than a pig in crap. New kitchen stuff is awesome (and I'm no chef!)
  • Staceygram
    Options
    veggrrrl wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the adoreme recommendation!

When my mom asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I answered,"bras that fit." You know you're a grown-up when...

I've given that answer more than once in my life.
  • Staceygram
    Options
    jaenders06 wrote: »
    @veggrrrl I totally get excited over stuff like that. My mom got me an electric skillet and I was happier than a pig in crap. New kitchen stuff is awesome (and I'm no chef!)

My BF bought me a new mix master when my old one broke. I even got the good one out of it. You know someone's a keeper when....
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    If you took a poll, every woman would have one or more of those complaints, plus a few others. The other day someone posted a thread about how she didn't like her armpits! How do you conclude you're the sweatiest person in the gym, and what does it matter if you are? Maybe it means you're working harder than some. Maybe it means you sweat more than others. It means nothing!
    Not trying to mean, just want to shake you a little bit and encourage you to get out of your head and stop comparing. As someone on here said, "Comparison is the thief of joy."
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Oscar Wilde said, "Comparisons are odious". And he would've known!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I try not to compare myself to others at my age (48) but I used to be bad about doing that. As I get older I don't care as much about comparing myself but that can be detrimental to me as well. Not worrying about looking as good as the next person over there is what got me back to getting overweight. I stopped caring. Sometimes that peer pressure can help get you in gear too.
  • l911jnt
    l911jnt Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I dont like being in the gym for this very reason! I now have a treadmill and elliptical at home thank the lord. I dont have to go anymore and can be by myself in all my extreme sweatiness and belly flopping LOL.