Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help with logging weighed food

Hi

I am brand new to this just started last week tracking my food . I have been using the scanner option a lot but I just got a scale yesterday . I am trying to input my snack and I don't know how to do it with the scale weights now. If I search a food item it doesn't seem to come up with the same grams I have weighed. Sorry if this is long but I just don't know how to do it for example
I weighed 101 grams nonfat Greek yogurt
42 grams sliced strawberries
14 grams granola
I have the barcodes for both the yogurt and granola but they are different grams ?? I am so confused can someone please help ??
Thanks julie

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2017
    What different grams?

Pick "serving size" - 1 gram. Fill in "number of servings" - number of grams.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    If there's not a 1 gram option then do the math. For fruit there's almost the 1 gram but sometimes only the 100 grams - then for your strawberries you had .42 of a serving,

For your other items - look on the package - after the cup measurement there will be grams listed. Divide the amount you had by that number. So if a serving of yogurt was 48 grams for example and you had 101 you had 2.10 servings. If granola servings was 48 grams and you had 14 you had .29 servings.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member

Use math. Divide the grams you have by the grams that make up a serving size to see how many servings you have.

If the serving size is 60 grams but you have 70 grams
    70 / 60 = 1.16 servings.

If the serving size is 60 grams but you have 45 grams
    45 / 60 = .075 servings.
  • juliestanley1212
    juliestanley1212 Posts: 4 Member
    Kommodevaran
    The grams of the amount I weighed were different than the suggested grams for serving size sorry if that was unclear thanks for your response that makes sense

Ready2Rock206
    Thank you so much for the help I am awful at math I wasn't thinking of it that way but your explanation helps very much

Junodog1
    Thank you so much for the response that makes so much more sense to me
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    edited March 2017

Ready2Rock206
    Thank you so much for the help I am awful at math I wasn't thinking of it that way but your explanation helps very much

I mainly use the app so I do a lot of toggling between my MFP app and the calculator on my phone! LOL - I hate math.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Kommodevaran
    The grams of the amount I weighed were different than the suggested grams for serving size sorry if that was unclear thanks for your response that makes sense

Ready2Rock206

Junodog1

@juliestanley1212 - even if your weight in grams is different from the serving size - the same math applies

say serving size is 46g and you weight out - 69g for your meal - 69/46 = 1.5 - so you log 1.5 servings
  • juliestanley1212
    edited March 2017

Kommodevaran

Ready2Rock206

Junodog1

@juliestanley1212 - even if your weight in grams is different from the serving size - the same math applies

say serving size is 46g and you weight out - 69g for your meal - 69/46 = 1.5 - so you log 1.5 servings

Thank you very much!!
  • juliestanley1212

Ready2Rock206

I mainly use the app so I do a lot of toggling between my MFP app and the calculator on my phone! LOL - I hate math.

Haha maybe I'll get good at math now ... thanks again!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Kommodevaran

And that's why the serving size is just a suggestion. Your portion is the amount you serve yourself. That can be bigger or smaller than the suggested serving size. You decide how much to eat. You just log it and make it fit in your total intake of the day, along with all the other foods you eat that day.

As you can see from the other responses, foods really should have nutritional values per 100 grams on the label, and you should find (or create) entries in the database that have 1 gram or 100 grams. I think different "serving sizes" for different items is an American thing. Other countries just have 100 grams for everything.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Whatever you do, check the info on the scanned entry before you use it.... They aren't always accurate.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Kommodevaran

And that's why the serving size is just a suggestion. Your portion is the amount you serve yourself. That can be bigger or smaller than the suggested serving size. You decide how much to eat. You just log it and make it fit in your total intake of the day, along with all the other foods you eat that day.

As you can see from the other responses, foods really should have nutritional values per 100 grams on the label, and you should find (or create) entries in the database that have 1 gram or 100 grams. I think different "serving sizes" for different items is an American thing. Other countries just have 100 grams for everything.

it makes too much sense for that 100g info to apply in America :)
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    I have added all my regular fruits and veg into the my foods section using accepted nutritional data. Then I just add amount in servings/1 gram, eg. 60 servings of 1g= 60g of item. So easy to keep track then ;) irrespective of label/portion values.
    Items with a barcode are scanned for accuracy- there are alot of wrong/personal inputs in the database, best be sure for yourself.