A question about athletic shoes -- do I need specific pairs for tasks?

Options
So I wear one pair of shoes for everything. Walks? I wear my standard sneakers. Walks/runs? Standard sneaks. Zumba? Standard sneaks.

The standard sneakers are getting older now, and I need to replace them. Also, I've been having a few issues: When I put a lot more run in my walk, I have had some gnarly toe trouble (I won't go into detail!). The same toe trouble happens during certain Zumba classes. Also, I've notice my padding is not as good as it should be when I walk.

Now I want to be cheap about the whole thing and replace the standard sneaks with another pair, singular. Is that a bad idea, or should I be shopping for multiple pairs for my different workouts? What kinds? Any suggested brands/models?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are going to stick with running, I would suggest going to a running shoe store and having your walk/gait assessed. The person doing that can then suggest a few models that are likely to fit you properly. You can try them on in the store and see which you like best. It's really impossible for us to tell you what kind of shoe to get since your gait may differ from mine, which differs from the next person. Running can be great exercise but IMO it's an activity for which you should have appropriate tools and to me, that means having the right shoes.

I usually have my running shoes and then if I am taking a walk I wear either those shoes or another pair of shoes, though all of my sneakers are the same kind. So it's more like I have Pair A, Pair B, Pair C of the same shoe.

I don't Zumba so can't help you there :)
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I've read that about the running shoes before -- just wanted to see if anyone cosigned it. Your reply was helpful and much appreciated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jbirdgreen wrote: »
    Thanks. I've read that about the running shoes before -- just wanted to see if anyone cosigned it. Your reply was helpful and much appreciated.

If you're going to be a runner, running specific shoes that have been fitted to your gait are going to be very important...if you pronate and get a neutral shoe, it's going to be bad news...if you're neutral and you randomly get some shoe that is designed to correct pronation, you're going to be in trouble down the line.

A running store will put you on a treadmill and analyze your gait and fit you for the proper shoe...usually they will bring out several brands to see which feels best.

When I ran, my running shoes were for running and nothing else...I wear Nike Metcons for all of my gym work.

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For walking and running I'd go to a running store to be fitted for proper running shoes. Don't wear your running shoes for Zumba. Instead wear studio shoes or cross trainers with good lateral support.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i wear different shoes for different things And i only wear my running shoes for running, nothing else, and i replace them often because they only get so many miles before they break down.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    The only real equipment needed for running is proper running shoes. I agree with everyone that you should get fitted at a good running store (after buying my first pair there I shop for bargains on line for the same or very similar shoes). A decent pair of cross-trainers for everything else. Since I don't Zumba but do spend time in the gym and use various cardio equipment I wear my retired running shoes for this. I get around 450-500 miles out of a pair of Hoka's and would not think of wearing them for anything other than running until they are retired.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I have running shoes for running. My favorite so far are Mizuno wave inspires, a light stability shoe. When they have over 300 miles or start losing their cushion, they become lifting shoes. I also have some Nike free 4.0 that work for lighter runs, walks, or cross training.
  • jbirdgreen
    Options
    Thanks so much for responding! Looks like I need to make a trip to the running store, and to fork up a little more $$$ than I intended. Small price to pay for the results!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've got a pair of all-purpose trainers for Zumba, basic walking, general cardio etc, a pair of running shoes for running (funny that) and a pair of crossfit trainers for lifting and anything that involves squatting (they force me to drive through my heels) such as Legs bums+tums, boxercise, circuits. Then I've got my hiking shoes and the old tatty pair of trainers I wear for muddy outdoor training sessions. Not sure I actually "need" the 5 pairs of trainers but for me each has a purpose and each gets used at least once a week.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for responding! Looks like I need to make a trip to the running store, and to fork up a little more $$$ than I intended. Small price to pay for the results!

I like to wear training shoes for activities that require more lateral movement, jumping, etc. Zumba may fit into this category.

Shoes tend to last longer if you rotate them instead of wearing the same pair every day.

Once you find some models/styles you like, you can find deeply discounted shoes on the interwebs and outlet stores. I usually pay less than $50 for shoes that are originally priced $100+.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I have running shoes for running only. In fact, I have 2 pair which I rotate (One Asics, one Brooks at the moment). I run about 25 miles a week over 3 days. When those shoes are no longer suitable for running they become gym shoes for the elliptical and circuits I do a couple times a week or hiking shoes. That said, I've never been "fitted" for shoes. I've just tried them on and went with worked. Granted, once or twice over the years, it didn't work well. Live and learn. :blush: Also, because I'm not made of money, I typically buy my running shoes from the clearance section. I get the best fitting shoes I can afford - usually around $70 or so. Of note, I've never had knee, hip, shin or any of those other running "issues" many attribute to cheap shoes. When I think of how many people run barefoot or in the current minimalist shoes, I figure, I'm doing well just having something on my feet. Good luck.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Also--multiple pairs of shoes aside--if you are having gnarly toe trouble then you are wearing the wrong-sized shoes. My running shoes are a full size larger than my everyday shoes. Make sure there is a centimeter or so beyond your longest toe to prevent banging in the toe box. Width is important when you size up--you should still be able to lace the shoes snugly so that it doesn't feel like your feet are sloshing around as that will cause even worse toe trouble.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    shoes with wider toe-boxes are becoming more popular too...I can't wear many popular brands because they are too narrow - unless I want to go up 1-2 sizes which them causes issues...I love my Topo's for that reason - not a common/popular brand - but have worked solidly for me
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I put a lot more run in my walk, I have had some gnarly toe trouble (I won't go into detail!). The same toe trouble happens during certain Zumba classes.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're talking about nail damage (black or white areas from parts or the whole nail separating from the toe)? For me, that happens when the toe of the shoe is too narrow and tight. When you're running or doing Zumba, you're probably more on your toes throughout, which would exasperate the issue.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Big picture... if you're not having any problems (pain, stability, etc), then you're probably fine. There are probably advantages to having purpose-specific shoes, but they are only advantages if you value them as such.

Everyone around here touts the importance of getting fitted for running shoes. While it's never a bad idea to do that, not everyone has to. Some people can walk into a big-box sporting goods store, try on a few pairs of sneakers, buy what feels best, and be good to go. Others aren't so lucky.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the people who used to wear my nike running shoes to do what ever I was doing to the gym... But that was when I first started.

As I got more into lifting I soon found out I needed better shoes cause my back was in pain and I couldn't jump under the bar doing snatches with out hurting (I still can't but that's just cause I'm not getting the hang of it lol)

Now I have running shoes and lifting shoes and a pair of cross training shoes and I'll promise you that it's worth getting shoes for each activity even though it's expensive.
  • jbirdgreen
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Paco4gsc wrote: »
    When I put a lot more run in my walk, I have had some gnarly toe trouble (I won't go into detail!). The same toe trouble happens during certain Zumba classes.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that you're talking about nail damage (black or white areas from parts or the whole nail separating from the toe)? For me, that happens when the toe of the shoe is too narrow and tight. When you're running or doing Zumba, you're probably more on your toes throughout, which would exasperate the issue.

Yes, I was running outdoors a lot more mid-fall (November) and I had a black toenail. It took until last month to clear up. I started lacing my shoes tighter, which helped, but the same toe on the other foot recently had a similar but lesser injury recently. Not sure if it's because of one of my more intense Zumba sessions or because I started running again -- I've being doing it on the treadmill on an incline, so I don't see how my foot is sliding forward like last time.

• Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It depends on your priorities. It's taking me a while to build up my shoe collection.

In the past, I had just one pair of running shoes for everything and I could not afford start adding willy nilly.
    First, I got a pair of chucks because I could use them for weight lifting if I had to.
    A few months later, reebok crossfit shoes.
    A few months after that, I finally replaced the old running shoes.
    Next, will be some lighter hiking shoes to replace my clunky, ripped up boots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Big picture... if you're not having any problems (pain, stability, etc), then you're probably fine. There are probably advantages to having purpose-specific shoes, but they are only advantages if you value them as such.

Everyone around here touts the importance of getting fitted for running shoes. While it's never a bad idea to do that, not everyone has to. Some people can walk into a big-box sporting goods store, try on a few pairs of sneakers, buy what feels best, and be good to go. Others aren't so lucky.

I'd say this is really luck of the draw though. When I started running I just wore my NB shoes that felt just fine walking around and whatnot. At the time I did not know that I supinate...my NB shoes were designed to correct pronation so when I started running in them, it exagerated my supination and I ended up with all kinds of tendon issues in my feet.

I went to a running store at the advice of my wife...they looked at my gait on a treadmill and then looked at my shoes and said, "yeah...no...you need a neutral shoe." That fixed a whole lot of problems I was having with my feet when I was running.