Embarrassed to ask for a spot while benching

Options
Just a vent - I know I need to just get over it.
I think I can up my weight a bit on my bench, but I'm worried to try because I think I need someone to spot me in case I fail. And I'm usually the only chick in the free weight area with a bunch of guys, and it just feels SUPER embarrassing to ask someone for a spot on an 85-lb bench. They’re not going to laugh at me, right?

Replies

• dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ ditto on the non clipping of the weights. Or if you have a Smith Machine do your heaviest lifts on it; as you increase the weights on the Smith Machine you can correspondingly increase the weights on the bench.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Nah. I don't like asking for a spot either, although I never mind when someone asks me for one. When it comes to the weight, you're at where you're at. It's really not that bad for a girl anyways. I could see how if you were struggling with the bar it might be a little funny, but so what? It's fun to laugh. Most people would try their hardest not to though lol. Imagine that, your spotter getting all red in the face from trying not to laugh and passing out on top you. How ironic would that be? lol
  • whiskeykittentoo
    whiskeykittentoo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. Plus, being on a military post it's ALWAYS busy, and I am always the lowest weight lifter in the room... *sigh*... mostly I just hide away in a corner and wait for a break for the bench, but because it's so busy and I usually have to take about 125 lbs off just so I can lift it myself... I tend to just procrastinate and do my own little thing.
    So I'm starting at home, trying to get to a weight where I can go in and just step up and feel confident about slipping in a set between someone else's. A way to go though, for me.
  • getupforchange
    getupforchange Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    Nah. I don't like asking for a spot either, although I never mind when someone asks me for one. When it comes to the weight, you're at where you're at. It's really not that bad for a girl anyways. I could see how if you were struggling with the bar it might be a little funny, but so what? It's fun to laugh. Most people would try their hardest not to though lol. Imagine that, your spotter getting all red in the face from trying not to laugh and passing out on top you. How ironic would that be? lol

When I first started out I DID struggle with just the bar and I had my brother with me and we both laughed! It was fine. It was just one of those "okay good thing I'm finally doing something about this" moments and I think and hope there is that kind of respect in most gyms. I know I respect every single person in mine, no matter where they're at or where they started out, just for showing up and doing their damn best.

When I go with my brother he's asked now and again to spot (I guess he looks nice and approachable because he's super nice to me when he's showing me new things) and he's always super happy to do it. If anyone laughs at you for asking they're the idiot, not you.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can ask the gym staff to spot; usually in the mornings at my gym, they are bored and want to help. You can also put a bench in the power rack (if the gym has one) and use the safety catches as safety catches. Eta: that's probably more for pin presses.

I bench when my husband is at the gym. I'm sure any guy would spot, but I don't want to make new friends.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Totally do it. When I switched to benching with guards, my working weight immediately went up. I had no idea how much I was holding back on trying late reps for fear of failing. Mentally I know I can do the roll of shame and be fine, but somehow I can't bench heavy without a spot or safety bars.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have a never ask for spotting policy.

If he drops the barbell or it slips.... it lands on your chest or worse, your larynx and it won't be a good life after that. Many spotters don't know how to do it, unless he/she is a skilled gripper.

Why would you want to put yourself in that position?

For the same reasons, if someone asks me to be the spotter, I decline. That's a potential lawsuit there.

25 years in and around gyms & you are the 1st person I have ever seen take that stance.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    What is to be embarrassed about? Screw it. You're there to better yourself. If having a spot is going to help you progress, you better do it or you're wasting your time.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i lift in a public rec centre with some really serious, really bro regulars. and they're young too, so y'know. so fwiw, after three years being around them i've noticed that 99% of them only diss and neg within their own group, among their own bros. it's a guy thing or something, i guess :tongue:

point being, don't let that kind of thing put you off. they might get a warm fuzzy feeling out of being absolute jerks towards one another, but every one of the ones that i've watched seem to respect anybody who's working 'hard'. they pissing-match with each other a lot, but when it comes to the public in general it's not the weight being moved that they respect. it's the work.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I asked for a spot for a 55lb bench so don't feel embarrassed! I had to, because I got really tired on my fourth set, only got 4/5 reps in, and I didn't want to drop the weight on my face during my final set. When I asked the guy he was super nice about it... and the weight felt way lighter. If you're socially anxious like me the adrenaline from talking to strangers can give you that little extra boost (that is my totally scientific explanation for why that set felt so light :D)